USAF Warrant Officer Epaulet Rank Slides (blues shirt)

DutchInfid3l

I had been looking for these for awhile, I was beginning to doubt that they existed as I have never actually seen a picture or anyone actually wearing a set.
So, here you go! Enjoy!
Still in the wrapper, though the CWO4 wrapper was partially open enough to pull them out.

post-5589-0-52077900-1401285616.jpg

post-5589-0-30932700-1401285621.jpg

post-5589-0-84338900-1401285625.jpg

post-5589-0-27615900-1401285630.jpg

Congrats on the find! I don't know if you are like me, but once the holy grail is found, it can be a bit overwhelming and the "okay what's next" feeling comes.

you are on the summit----enjoy the view!

capa

USAF Warrant Officer grades had disappeared before the blue epaulets came out. So why would they be produced? Way back in 1959, all WO's were made CWO-4 and that rank lingered on till they finally went out in the 1980's, so why make WO1 thru 3? :think:

USAF Warrant Officer grades had disappeared before the blue epaulets came out. So why would they be produced? Way back in 1959, all WO's were made CWO-4 and that rank lingered on till they finally went out in the 1980's, so why make WO1 thru 3? :think:

Interesting. Never occurred to me that the phase out date of the Warrant Officer grades would have been before the adoption of the soft shoulder boards. I had always wondered if they actually had these at all, like I said I have never seen them being worn in any fashion. Does anyone know when the epaulets came out, all officer rank wise?

"It was not until 1980, however, that CWO James H. Long retired from the 438th Transportation Squadron at McGuire AFB, N. J., and the Air Force said good-bye to its last active-duty warrant officer."

And don't forget the reserve components. The last Air National Guard chief warrant officer was retired in 1992 (link

here). Coincidently, the USAF rank of chief master sergeant, which helped to supplant Air Force warrant officers, celebrated its 50th anniversary this week (link here).

The manufacter of these W/O epaultes falls in the same category of mystery as the small female size Sergeant Major of the Army chevrons. They got made, but nobody ever wore the things! I would suspect the production of these was the result of some government contract screw-up. USAF WO's are still on the books, so by golly we better make some! :blink: (Your tax dollars at work friends!)

• 1 year later...

Let me start out by saying I spent 6-1/2 years enlisted in the Air Force before going into the Army Reserve as a Warrant Officer, so I'm not totally ignorant about things related to the Air Force!

That said, with regard to the blue epaulets with warrant rank, a retired Air Force Warrant Officer may choose to wear the uniform authorized when he or she retired or the current in-use uniform to functions as appropriate. So, these blue epaulets would be appropriate on the dress shirt.

There are retired Air Force Warrant Officers still alive and well! Just mostly forgotten...

Just my two cents worth,

Tim.

Ref: AFI 36-2903, Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel, Chapter 6.

Let me start out by saying I spent 6-1/2 years enlisted in the Air Force before going into the Army Reserve as a Warrant Officer, so I'm not totally ignorant about things related to the Air Force!

That said, with regard to the blue epaulets with warrant rank, a retired Air Force Warrant Officer may choose to wear the uniform authorized when he or she retired or the current in-use uniform to functions as appropriate. So, these blue epaulets would be appropriate on the dress shirt.

There are retired Air Force Warrant Officers still alive and well! Just mostly forgotten...

Just my two cents worth,

Tim.

Ref: AFI 36-2903, Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel, Chapter 6.

Good point Tim. I hadn't thought about retirees wearing them. Learn something here every day! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I was in the Air Force from 1968 to 1972 and I saw only ONE CWO-4. Back then I picked up a pair mess dress CWO-4 shoulder board at the base thrift shop. When the epaulet ranks came out I saw them listed in a catalog from I think Ken Nolan for a couple of dollars a pair.

The manufacter of these W/O epaultes falls in the same category of mystery as the small female size Sergeant Major of the Army chevrons. They got made, but nobody ever wore the things! I would suspect the production of these was the result of some government contract screw-up. USAF WO's are still on the books, so by golly we better make some! :blink: (Your tax dollars at work friends!)

Since the shoulder marks (which go on shoulder loops...no epaulets involved) shown in the first post are in commercial Vanguard packaging, it seems far more likely that Vanguard screwed up and your tax dollars were spent on something else.