N.S. Meyer TO Technical Observer wing - Original and Restrike

Nack

Nice jacket...I have a very similar one. Does the other metal insignia check out ok? If so, I wouldn't hesitate to add it to my collection, providing the asking price is reasonable.

Ian :thumbsup:

Nice jacket...I have a very similar one. Does the other metal insignia check out ok? If so, I wouldn't hesitate to add it to my collection, providing the asking price is reasonable.

Yup - the other insignia looks good. The price is to be determined. Some more info on the former owner and the history of the jacket is on the way, so we'll see if that gives a clue as to the wings.

Either way, it's a very good example of type and worthy of a place in any USAAF/USAF uniform collection.

Either way, it's a very good example of type and worthy of a place in any USAAF/USAF uniform collection.

It is a nice jacket. Here's the label. There is a name on there, but I erased it as teh deal is not concluded.

post-333-1260210291.jpg

• 4 years later...
5thwingmarty

One of the posts in this thread says that the STERLING mark on a WWII-issued Meyer T/O should be in raised letters behind the vertical part of the T. There are two Meyer T/O wings on the Griffinmilitaria site listed as being WWII, but both have incised STERLING marks. One is a pin-back with the cammed pin and the other is a clutch back. I have this Meyer T/O wing which I acquired from someone I really trust, and it is the same as the pin-back wing offered on Griffinmilitaria except with the markings as on the clutch-back one.

Are these all really post-WWII restrikes?

Marty

post-96854-0-66379800-1403801402.jpg

post-96854-0-16296000-1403801412.jpg

• 4 years later...
cattaraugus

Hi,

I have a similar wing, sterling is on the other side from the shield, the examples I have seen on the forum noted as restrikes seem to have sterling on the shield side, plus it is a clutch back. opinions?

post-4406-0-01569500-1530633385_thumb.jpg

Here is my T/O wing. I know it's not a Meyer wing, but it has the raised sterling mark and short posts. Is this a good wing?

post-180202-0-83615400-1530662553.jpg

post-180202-0-24022500-1530662570.jpg

Patchcollector

I have no expertise with these,so take my opinion for what it's worth.I have some doubts about the Wing in post # 31.It seems to have the large "STERLING" stamp compared to the one in post # 30.
The Wing in post # 33 looks better to me.Maybe some of the more seasoned Wing collectors will add their input too.

• 8 months later...

The other active thread about TO wings motivated me to snap some pics of a wing I bought in a lot some time ago. I presume its a restrike, but Id be happy to be wrong, of course. When I first saw it, I concluded fake due to the pin and Meyer hallmark.

post-333-0-07598600-1552609420_thumb.jpeg

post-333-0-51161900-1552609430_thumb.jpeg