USMC Jump Smock P-1943

steven61

Hi

I bought this camo jacket sold as a USMC P44.

With closer inspection I found similarities with the 2nd pattern camo P-1943 marine jump smock such as:

Front has two upper and two waist concealed pockets

Rear has a large open pocket accessed by openings under the armpits with flaps on the green side.

All are secured by domed snaps.

post-2109-1259860608.jpg post-2109-1259860638.jpg

Oval padding has been removed on green side of elbows. Sewing still visible.

A smock cut to a jacket? Made this way? Rarity…

If you have any info thanks for sharing.

Steven

Steven

I have owned a couple of these modified this way.They are a bit more practical and user friendly to wear opposed to the smock.I have also encountered these with and with out elbow pads.I know there is a black and white picture of a Marine wearing a cut down smock I have see.It is hard to say on every one if they were cut down during the war or after.Years a go a friend had a cut down one with the Western Costume property stamp in it.

Looks like yours still has great color.Thanks for posting.

RD

American Graffiti

These were also modified by the French and worn this way in Indochina, ie. Vietnam.

Great picture of Pierre Schoendoerffer wearing one at Pak Ou, Laos in 1953, in the Requiem book.

Great jacket, nice stencil too!

AG

Thanks for your comments,

Will this grouping be correct to represent a member of one of the parachute battalions in the 1st marine Amphibious Corps late 43 early 44?

1st patt. camo helmet cover

1st and 2nd patt. canteen covers

The modified P-43 smock and P-42 camo trousers

Jungle boots

A little early for the M-2 jungle first aid pouch?

post-2109-1259942050.jpg

Steve

I would say your set up looks fine.They wore what they liked and what worked.You will even see Marines in the Pacific wearing combinations of green hbts and camos at the same time.

I know one Para Marine personally and he told me he wore 2 buckle boots anytime he could get a pair trading or other wise.He simply preffered these over the leggings and boondockers.I have seen his P42 camos and he even has a war time picture of him wearing the same.

RON

Steven- Outstanding!! A cut-down Smock for sure...on the Smocks, the outer chest/lower pocket panel runs all the way down to the hem of the leg (pic below) with a pair of snaps for both upper and lower pockets, whereas on the M1944 Coat, this frontal panel ends about gut level, providing only the upper torso pockets. Also, the twill on the frontal Smock panel always runs vertically; on the '44 Coat it is horizontal. And, of course, the Coat had no rear pocket entry flaps like yours.

post-3226-1259981933.jpg

You got a beautiful piece, the back stencil ups its value greatly. As far as the Jungle 1st Aid Pouch goes, they were put into production in '43, so why not hang one on that belt?

The stencil reads MOTOR TRANSPORT DIVISION and there is a large oil-grease stain on the front.

The pouch is on the belt in between the canteens.

I am glad you all confirm what I recently suspected about my P44 bought more than a year ago is in fact a paramarine smock.

I was looking for a P-42 coat to match my P-42 trousers, to represent a marine in 43-44. Will the smock be a possible replacement? As I dressed the mannequin.

Steven