colorized Korean war vet portrait

R Michael

Hello all been a while since I posted anything and this arrived in the mail today so thought I would share. This was taken at the "golden gate studio" in SanFran. and is 8x10. I am not a uniform Guru but did not know the glider patch was used post WWII.

Mike

post-1387-1259786023.jpg

Mike,

This is a very nice looking picture.

Most likely the Soldier was with the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team (RAKKASANS). They made 2 combat jumps in Korea. Can't tell by this photo, but are there any devices such as small bronze stars on his jump wings or perhaps an arrowhead device? This would indicate a combat jump or assault landing. His ribbons would indicate he was with the 187th on Occupation duty in Japan prior to Korea. His ribbons are the United Nations Ribbon, Army of Occupation Ribbon, Korean Service with 2 campaign stars, Army Good Conduct, and the Purple Heart. His other awards are the basic parachutist badge, Combat Infantryman's Badge, The Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, and the Army Presidential Unit Citation.

In the Photo, the Soldier is currently assigned to the Army's 25th Infantry Division (Tropic Lightning). He may have been wounded with the 187th, sent to the hospital and when he was fit for duty was reassigned to the 25th?? He may not have had time to remove the glider patch from his garrison cap when the photo was taken.

I would be curious to see what his combat patch on his left shoulder would be. Most likely 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team.

This is a great photo. Do you have the troopers name? I have several 187th Rosters and I may be able to find his name for you.

Leigh...

Leigh, thanks for the informative posting. Sadly no name on photo and the jump wings appear to have no star, though it is a bit dark so cant say for sure.

Mike

Mike,

This is a very nice looking picture.

Most likely the Soldier was with the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team (RAKKASANS). They made 2 combat jumps in Korea. Can't tell by this photo, but are there any devices such as small bronze stars on his jump wings or perhaps an arrowhead device? This would indicate a combat jump or assault landing. His ribbons would indicate he was with the 187th on Occupation duty in Japan prior to Korea. His ribbons are the United Nations Ribbon, Army of Occupation Ribbon, Korean Service with 2 campaign stars, Army Good Conduct, and the Purple Heart. His other awards are the basic parachutist badge, Combat Infantryman's Badge, The Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, and the Army Presidential Unit Citation.

In the Photo, the Soldier is currently assigned to the Army's 25th Infantry Division (Tropic Lightning). He may have been wounded with the 187th, sent to the hospital and when he was fit for duty was reassigned to the 25th?? He may not have had time to remove the glider patch from his garrison cap when the photo was taken.

I would be curious to see what his combat patch on his left shoulder would be. Most likely 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team.

This is a great photo. Do you have the troopers name? I have several 187th Rosters and I may be able to find his name for you.

Leigh...

You're looking at his left shoulder.

He also could have been a member of the 5th Ranger Infantry Company (Abn) as they were attached to the 25th ID in Korea.

Neat pic.

Thanks tredhed

My dsylexia and subliminal mind taking over. As I wrote it I was thinking right but wrote left. Good point on the Ranger Company as well...

Leigh...