Looks great. You got lucky finding the guy with the barrel vise.

Here is a photo of a M1A1 to compare with.

post-9906-0-65696500-1438038669.jpg

If you decide to refinish the metal you will need to use Du-lite. They left the factory with a black Du-Lite finish, the parkerization process was used during rebuilds.

donation2008.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gif

Looking for original photos and other items from the First World War US 77th Infantry Division.

Also interested in BAR and M1917A1 BMG related items.

Man that is coooooool! I want to build one myself, but they are sooooo hard to find parts for, especially here :(

If you can read this, thank a teacher, and, since it's in English, thank a soldier.

- Anonymous

Dedicated to the hard core.

I should have pointed out in my first post that the Thompson in the photo is not a kit gun, it is a C&R original Savage.

Looking for original photos and other items from the First World War US 77th Infantry Division.

Today, I got my M1 Thompson finished. As I was bringing it home, I got the mail and the cleaning kit I bought for it arrived, what a day!

2uqyvsi.jpg

One thing you may want to keep an eye out for is a earlier stock without the reinforcement. These were normally fitted to the M1s with the reinforced type being used as replacements on M1s and as standard on M1A1s. A lot of the earlier type stocks came in with the Russian parts kits.

Still you have some nice looking wood on your Thompson.

I will. Is that the correct rear sight, or should I be looking for the one with the triangular side protectors?

That is the correct site for an M1. You will find some M1s with the protected sight but they are either extremely late M1s or the sight was added during a rebuild.

The only mechanical difference between a M1 and M1A1 is that the M1 still retains the separate firing pin and hammer like on a 1928. The M1A1 has the fixed firing pin bolt. Both bolts are interchangable between M1s and M1A1s. The 1928 bolt uses a Blish lock and cannot be used in the M1 series upper receiver.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.