Balfour and the USMC?

Brig

anyone know if Balfour wings were something Marines had available, or if they were pretty much limited to the exchanges catering to the Navy? I ask because I know Navy/USMC shared the style, but have never seen any other USMC insignia marked Balfour.

Hi Brig,

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Marine and Navy aviation cadets go through the exact same flight schools together? I seem to recall that when I was in NROTC, that the guys who were going into fight school did so together, independent of whether or not they were USMC or USN bound.

If this is true, then more than likely the USMC and USN aviators were getting their wings and stuff from the same sources (either on the base exchange or in local uniform supply stores). I also suspect that many of these companies provided mail order and catalog services. Also, I suspect that a question that would need to be addressed was whether or not a store was retailing items or a wholesale supply firm. It is my understanding that a uniform supply store or PX may have simply had a contract for a certain amount of insignia from a wholesale company, and then sold it that way. I believe that Balfour was a mail order and wholesale supplier of insignia, rather than a retailer. So, they may have simply decided not to make USMC insignia for what ever reason.

Maybe I am just rambling here.

Patrick

I know the average USMC manufactorers you see for the era are H&H and NS Meyers...a bit scarcer in WWII was Gemsco, and private firms like Robinson and BB&B

anyone know if Balfour wings were something Marines had available, or if they were pretty much limited to the exchanges catering to the Navy? I ask because I know Navy/USMC shared the style, but have never seen any other USMC insignia marked Balfour.

Yes they did. I have a Balfour wing from the estate of Major General R.H. Spanjer, USMC.

Cheers

John