Goofy The Glider Pilot

Gregory

Hello Disney fans and gurus,

I guess nobody from the USAAF wore this path, but any additional comments are nicely welcomed. Was it manufactured for fun only (because not for USAAF morale building in view of the fact how this glider look like), or for something elese? For youth, children...?

Best regards

Greg

• 1 month later...
Johnny Signor

I have seen this same patch done on leather in better detailing, I think it probably was used at whatever base/e the unit was stationed in WW2,it's one of those odd ones you have to really go all over the net and dig through books etc to figure out the where's/whens of.

I'm sure someone will find it eventually,seeing as how Disney went to the trouble to have it done I would think it was an active unit or possibly one of the designs submitted by them but wasn't accepted by the unit for wear, I know many unit emblems designs weren't alsways liked and changed and Disney usually made more than one "concept" drawing for the unit's design and they would choose which they liked or suggest changes to them.

I'm surprised "Disney Dave" doesn't have something on this one.

Thank you very much for the first comment.

That's odd product. Even the USAAF's Command is an absurdity because "Glider Transport Command" did not exist -- there was Troop Carrier Command.

Best regards

Greg

The patch is similar to an official one made for the Advanced Carrier Training Group, Pacific, in August 1942, by Disney artist George Goepper. I have a war era photo in my collection from Goepper's estate of the design. I will try to post an image of the photo by the weekend.

Thanks for posting an image of the patch Gregory.

Here is a photo from my collection of the officially sanctioned design created at the Disney studio I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread. You can see the similarities between the patch and the design in the photo.

So many of those so-called RKO Disney patches are just horrible - the artist that painted the vast majority of them was awful.

blog_goofy.JPG

I like some of these Disney designs. My grandfathers unit was the 69th Qm and they had a design that I will start a new topic for. Its interesting on the variations of this patch. I wonder if that was a soldiers attempt at drawing one or a prototype design

• 4 weeks later...
Johnny Signor

It's odd to me that someone would go to the trouble to make the patch of this design if it did not exist ,could this have been a "planned" unit that just never came about ?

In some cases, by the time the emblem was completed the unit that requested it was relocated (like overseas), reorganized, redesignated or just disbanded.

Further, while flying units were likely to get the design made up as patches, or painted on jackets, where would a tank destroyer or anti-aircraft unit or QM unit make use of it? Signboards in the barracks area: maybe. On unit stationery: maybe.

The most common non-patch items I have seen designs appear on include: stationary, mailing envelopes, decals, matchbook covers, unit produced newsletters, menus, programs and other publications, signage, and they were even printed as photos and sold or given away to men in the unit.

Johnny Signor

I don't think the patch in question is the same for the one Disney dave posted, the aircraft carrier underneath and the way "Goofy is sitting etc is a fairly large difference ,not to mention the fuslage of the glider and it's beat up wings etc, there's just too much difference to me, I may be wrong and this is just my oppion.

My opinion is that someone saw the legit Disney design, liked what they saw and adapted it. While there are many dissimilarities, there are also several design elements that match.

The patch pictured in this post is a fantasy piece. This design may have been created by someone for their unit, but this particular patch as shown is not one that would have been worn by anyone, save a movie extra or some kid playing army with all the other neighborhood miscreants.

No one, to my knowledge, knows the real history behind the so-called RKO patches. There is one theory, which seems to be the most prevalent one touted, but I have never seen a serious piece of research or any related documenatation regarding these so-called "RKO/ Max Berman studio prop" patches.

I would love to hear from anyone who has documentation indicating the history of the "RKO" patches.

• 5 years later...

My opinion is that someone saw the legit Disney design, liked what they saw and adapted it. While there are many dissimilarities, there are also several design elements that match.

The patch pictured in this post is a fantasy piece. This design may have been created by someone for their unit, but this particular patch as shown is not one that would have been worn by anyone, save a movie extra or some kid playing army with all the other neighborhood miscreants.

No one, to my knowledge, knows the real history behind the so-called RKO patches. There is one theory, which seems to be the most prevalent one touted, but I have never seen a serious piece of research or any related documenatation regarding these so-called "RKO/ Max Berman studio prop" patches.

I would love to hear from anyone who has documentation indicating the history of the "RKO" patches.

Hello,

You see a lot of these patches on Ebay and i was wondering the same what there origin is as most of them has the Studio/Berman stamping on the back.

The patches are not made to decive i think and will be sold as prop patches.If you looking at the material/CANVAS/ and painting then it looks like they made by the same artist at the same time era.