1 Solid Year of Collecting!

gliderflyboy

Well, it's been a little over a year since I begun my foray into the wonderful world of military collecting, and I have to say that I've gotten the fever and haven't slowed down!

90% is original and WWII, but since I reenact I have some reproductions mixed in, as well as taking liberties with spare ribbon bars, insignia, and wings to re-create uniforms. I've gotten some great deals and paid a little extra here and there, but I think I've amassed a good introductory collection.

Questions, comments, suggestions, insults, fire away!

My main uniform rack:

4145538443_441d1369bd_b.jpg

Footlocker display:

4146297330_ece82a080e_b.jpg

Just some shelf space:

4145536615_5d476d28a3_b.jpg

Class A Glider Pilot mannequin:

4146295552_b5d917c8ed_b.jpg

Bookshelf:

4146294692_a287d35bc0_b.jpg

I've just started collecting patches (all are original):

4146293142_a521e3e5bb_b.jpg

Glider Pilot combat uniform mannequin:

4146299056_de7b6c2063_b.jpg

Closet of non-WWII/WWII things I haven't found a place for yet:

4145568727_8ef8954992_b.jpg

I'm running out of room!

That must has been a good year!

I have seen some very nice items, well organized and displayed. Thanks for sharing your collection. Would you mind posting a close up of the "WW II Event map" I have seen on one of you pictures?

Lars

Would you mind posting a close up of the "WW II Event map" I have seen on one of you pictures?

Lars

Here's the poster. I need to get a frame for it, it was in a box of my grandpa's things:

SANY1413.jpg

SANY1415.jpg

SANY1419.jpg

Questions, comments, suggestions, insults, fire away!

Glider Pilot combat uniform mannequin:

4146299056_de7b6c2063_b.jpg

Hello,

A very nice display, congratulations. I would have only small comment to combat configuration of GP mannequin. The GPs have always been armed with something shorter than rifle -- either with SMGs or carbines. I would not be so sure if rifle bandolier is good for such GP mannequin. Pilotage of the CG-4A was not a pleasure, but hard work, and the GPs were overtired during two- or three-hour flight on tow. They had only minimal field gear as needed to survive on battlefield before withdrawal to the rears.

My 2¢, but generally speaking the display is OK.

Best regards

Greg

Mate, that is fantastic. Keep it up! I've only been collecting for about 2 years, a bit longer, myself, and never would have thought i'd have so much stuff as i do now. That however, is even more than i have i think, haha! Well done :)

Here's the poster. I need to get a frame for it, it was in a box of my grandpa's things:

SANY1413.jpg

SANY1415.jpg

SANY1419.jpg

Thanks for posting the map completely. What a wonderfull piece, I love those maps. You are right, it has definitively to be framed.

Lars

Brian Dentino

A great display and a very nice collection. It is addicting isn't it? Keep it up, and eventually you will need a bigger HOUSE to keep all your goodies in..... :w00t:

That footlocker alone would make a year worthwhile - great stuff all around.

I totally concur with the comment regarding the footlocker. Well organized. I'm afraid that mine is a bit "over done". Keep up the good work! Jack

One year??? It is like a drug isn't it? :ermm:

Oh my....try 30. It's a good drug, as long as your finances/marriage/sanity can handle it....!! LOL

Hello,

A very nice display, congratulations. I would have only small comment to combat configuration of GP mannequin. The GPs have always been armed with something shorter than rifle -- either with SMGs or carbines. I would not be so sure if rifle bandolier is good for such GP mannequin. Pilotage of the CG-4A was not a pleasure, but hard work, and the GPs were overtired during two- or three-hour flight on tow. They had only minimal field gear as needed to survive on battlefield before withdrawal to the rears.

My 2¢, but generally speaking the display is OK.

Best regards

Greg

Hey Greg, although you are correct in regards to GP's carrying the SMG's (my grandpa carried an M3 Grease Gun), I have seen photos with Garands as well. I'm guessing that maybe they traded with AB guys since there was a lot of intermingling going on. Here's a photo of GP's at Normandy:

111-SC-190056.jpg

Hey Greg, although you are correct in regards to GP's carrying the SMG's (my grandpa carried an M3 Grease Gun), I have seen photos with Garands as well. I'm guessing that maybe they traded with AB guys since there was a lot of intermingling going on. Here's a photo of GP's at Normandy

Yes, I agree that all was possible. I know this photo and also other one from Higgins boat where the GPs armed with Garands were withdrawn to UK. Many times I think as you -- was it a trade "SMG for Garand because you, my dear GP, do not need this useful foxhole peacemaker" or what? Majority of the images showing the GPs show them with SMGs for self-defence rather than for combat together with infantry. And no wonder -- the US GPs were not obliged to fight because -- due to GPs shortage -- they were worth in gold as much as they weighted. Only twice in history the US GPs fought with PIRs and GIRs but they were two small exceptions from main rule. I am looking at this problem also through the prism of flight safety standards. Relatively heavy and long rifles were not practical things to carry them when you have to fight at the controls against turbulence and slipstream. Did anybody hold the GPs' hand guns during flight by CG-4A or were those hand guns mounted somewhere in the glider? I have never found such an information but this is interesting for me. Did your grandfather mention something on this subject?

Best regards

Greg

Yes, I agree that all was possible. I know this photo and also other one from Higgins boat where the GPs armed with Garands were withdrawn to UK. Many times I think as you -- was it a trade "SMG for Garand because you, my dear GP, do not need this useful foxhole peacemaker" or what? Majority of the images showing the GPs show them with SMGs for self-defence rather than for combat together with infantry. And no wonder -- the US GPs were not obliged to fight because -- due to GPs shortage -- they were worth in gold as much as they weighted. Only twice in history the US GPs fought with PIRs and GIRs but they were two small exceptions from main rule. I am looking at this problem also through the prism of flight safety standards. Relatively heavy and long rifles were not practical things to carry them when you have to fight at the controls against turbulence and slipstream. Did anybody hold the GPs' hand guns during flight by CG-4A or were those hand guns mounted somewhere in the glider? I have never found such an information but this is interesting for me. Did your grandfather mention something on this subject?

Best regards

Greg

Although he did talk about his trusty 1911A1, he never really went that far into detail. I have a scan of all of his supply lists for his gear and weapons, and he was issued an M3 shoulder holster. I'm guessing either this or the standard pistol belt holster was used. I've got a great picture illustrating the wide array of gear the GP's were issued or acquired...every picture I see has different uniforms, gear, and weapons. It seems that since they floated around a lot amongst AB troops and other Air Corps personnel, you see almost every variation of gear setup and uniforms. Here's a couple photos of my grandpa's:

Right before Dragoon:

2942738936_36515f769a_o.jpg

Around Market Garden. I'm guessing post-mission since the photo caption is "Waiting to go back to our home base."

2941880599_aeb306f493_b.jpg

Gliderflyboy,

Excellent images -- thank you very much!

he was issued an M3 shoulder holster.

No wonder, I cannot imagine CG-4A pilotage being in full set of field gear typical for GIR troops.

One more time thanks a lot for beautiful period photos.

Best regards

Gregory

John C. Calhoun

Great for one year. I can only imagine what that room will look like next year. I have a question: Why is there a AAF patch on the paratrooper jacket? Was this a glider pilot's jacket perhaps? If so, is it original and could we see some more pictures?

Thanks,

Dan

Great for one year. I can only imagine what that room will look like next year. I have a question: Why is there a AAF patch on the paratrooper jacket? Was this a glider pilot's jacket perhaps? If so, is it original and could we see some more pictures?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan. The paratrooper jacket is a repop and I stuck an AAF patch on it for glider pilot (I also do reenacting). If it was real I would put it in a case and never take it out!

• 2 months later...