Underwear of the Korean War

hawkdriver

What was worn as the undershirt and underwear during the Korean War? Were they still wearing the WWII green tank tops, or had they transitioned to the white T-shirts by then? What was the issued underwear by then?

Hawkdriver, one of the best reference on this subject is " Uniforms of the Korean War" by Shelby Stanton.

I'm not at home right now but I'll let you know more ASAP.

RockinBones

Cobrahistorian

Steve,

I think I may have a set of Korean War 1951 dated thermal underwear stashed somewhere. They are white, not the WWII green, although I'm sure that WWII green ones were worn right alongside the newer whites.

Jon

I knew at some point, they swapped over from the OD to white, but didn't know when. Since I fill my packs on display with items that would have been carried I wanted to get the right stuff. I didn't know if there was such a surplus of the green tanks and boxers, if they were still issuing those or not.

craig_pickrall

The early WW2 scivvies were white and they were changed to green. This applies to both warm weather and cold weather types.

The early WW2 scivvies were white and they were changed to green. This applies to both warm weather and cold weather types.

So, do you know when they went back to white? What type of skivvies did they go to after the WWII type? I know in Vietnam, they went to straight green boxers.

I have a photo of my father in his underwear in Korea during the war, and he's wearing a white T-shirt and white boxers. In the other photos, guys are wearing white T-shirts under their shirts. This is at the division HQ however.

Hakwdriver,

I've finally found the time to provide you with info as promised, hope this will be of some interest for you

RockinBones

Korean War Underwear and socks

Winter undershirts were cotton-wool knitted pullovers, with full sleeves and two button fronts.

The types used in Korea included the Undershirt, Winter, 50-50 Cotton Wool, Natural Gray; and the Undershirt, Winter, 50-50 Cotton-Wool, Olive-Drab, both adopted in 1948. These were supplemented by the Undershirt, Winter, Non-Standard, procured by the Japan Logistical Cmd. The Undershirt, Winter, Non Standard M1950, was produced under specifications approved on 29 March 1950. Undershirts were scheduled for eight months of use, commencing 1 September annually, and every soldier was issued three sets.

At the armistice, July 1953, 8th Army had nearly all of the 1,158,749 winter undershirts projected for winter issue.

Winter drawers were ankle-length knitted underwear, made of a cotton and wool mix with a button fly. The types used in Korea included the Drawers, Winter, Natural Gray; and the Drawers, Winter, 50-50 Cotton-Wool, OD, both adopted in 1948. Also worn were the Drawers, Winter, Non-Standard procured by the Japan Logistical Cmd. The Drawers, Winter, M1950, were produced under specification approved on 29 March 1950.

Winter drawers were scheduled for eight months of use, commencing 1 September annually, and every soldier was issued three sets. By the end of the conflict the 8th Army on hand stocks of winter drawers were large, totaling 99 percent of the 1,158, 749 pairs required for the next winter.

Men’s wool socks were issued to soldiers year-round in Korea. Five types were used and the most common was the Sock, Wool, Cushion Sole, OD …Other winter socks were the Sock, Wool, Heavy , White, the Sock, Wool, Heavy , OD, the Sock, Wool, Heavy ,Cushion Sole, White and the Sock, Wool, Non-Standard. Wool ski socks were issued with the shoepacs.