PASGT Questions

ClaptonIsGod

Hi all, I have in my collection a mint PASGT helmet. I remember seeing in the reference section something about early models where it was started by Gentex and completed by another company (i think). I am wondering if mine falls into the same category, as there are many markings inside, and it seems a bit strange compared to my salty one.

post-4251-1259539146.jpg

Outside of the salty one (Yes, I know the cat eye band is probably incorrect to the helmet. Also, something seems interesting about the colors of this one, just can't put my finger on it)

post-4251-1259539384.jpg

CNY Militaria
cat eyes band is correct for K-pot.

Just not on the outside like that. The band goes on a cover and tied down for the correct configuration. I still remember making several of those sweatbands "salty." Does not take long at all during long summer days.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all, I have in my collection a mint PASGT helmet. I remember seeing in the reference section something about early models where it was started by Gentex and completed by another company (i think). I am wondering if mine falls into the same category, as there are many markings inside, and it seems a bit strange compared to my salty one.

post-4251-1259539146.jpg

Hope this helps

post-6403-1260287711.jpg

Federal Prison Industries, or FPI, was established in 1934 to use prison labor to manufacture goods exclusively for the government. They adopted the trade name Unicor in 1977 and have been manufacturing material for the DoD for decades. They were one of the first to manufacture PASGT helmets in the late 70's.

Unicor is Prison Industries, they started making a lot of G.I. Gear in the 90's. Everything from Helmets and PT Uniforms to bunkbeds & Body Armor.

• 12 years later...
Chim Chim the Diminutive

The very first helmets, the prototypes were manufactured by Geonautics. About 400 prototypes were manufactured but I am unaware of any manufacturer markings on these. Several hundred incomplete helmets were made during experimentation concerning the production method.