A Few Home Front Items

General Apathy

General Apathy

post-344-1259530565.jpg

Hi Members, first up we have a wartime beer bottle ( yes it's empty ) from the Muehlebach's Brewing Company, Kansas City, note the ' buy war bonds ' label on the neck.

Does anyone know if this company is still about and if not when did they sell out or close down.

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1259530784.jpg

Hi Members, here we have three packeted drinking straws marked up with the USO symbol, quite unusual I would think due to the fragility of the item.

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1259531247.jpg

Hi Members, a full can ( One Pound, net weight ) copyright dated 1940, made by CHARMS Co., Bloomfield, N.J.. Sadley the top has aged but the bottom is as shiny as the day it was made.

Cheers Lewis

• 1 month later...
jayhawkhenry
post-344-1259530565.jpg

Hi Members, first up we have a wartime beer bottle ( yes it's empty ) from the Muehlebach's Brewing Company, Kansas City, note the ' buy war bonds ' label on the neck.

Does anyone know if this company is still about and if not when did they sell out or close down.

Cheers Lewis

Here is some information from Wikipeda. The Muehlebach hotel is still open.

The George Muehlebach Brewing Company was a brewery that operated in Kansas City, Missouri from 1868 until 1956 when it was acquired by Schlitz which eventually discontinued the brand and shut down the KC brewery in in 1973. At one time, it was the largest brewery in the Kansas City area.[1]

The Muehlebach family also founded the Muehlebach Hotel which was the Kansas City headquarters for Harry S. Truman during his Presidency and Muehlebach Field which became Municipal Stadium for the Kansas City Athletics baseball team and Kansas City Chiefs football team.

General Apathy

Hi Jayhawkhenry,

thanks for joining in on the thread with your information,

nice of you to take the time to check it out and post here. :thumbsup:

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy
Ken, I always enjoy when you start a new thread. It is like going to the opening of a new wing of a museum! Thanks for posting!

Hi Beast, thanks for joining in, I hadn't bothered to add any new items as I posted those three items a month ago and Jayhawkhenry was the first to add a post a few hours ago, it looked like there was no interest in the home front stuff I had posted. :blink:

I will look for a few more bits and bobs :think:

Beast, have a great new year, Ken :thumbsup:

This is a very overlooked and undervalued aspect of WWII collecting in my opinion. Great items as always Ken!!

The sour balls are probably still just as good as the day they were made.

General Apathy

post-344-1262446242.jpg

This is a very overlooked and undervalued aspect of WWII collecting in my opinion. Great items as always Ken!!

Hi Jayhawkhenry, Beast & Shenkursk, well for you three and me then :lol: , here are a few more items.

First up is a ' Waralarm ' clock, no manufacturer name simply marked ' Made in La Salle, Ill. USA ' the body and the rear cover are made of a compressed cardboard or fibre-board, thereby saving metal.

Still attached is a small strung label which states ' Air crew mess, Aldermaston ' which is an American airbase in England during WWII, and I paid the extortionate price of 6 pounds sterling for it some years ago. :think:

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1262446355.jpg

Hi Forum members and readers, here is a cotton towel 24 x 16 inches with the name of the hotel woven into it in a strip across the centre ' Le Claire Hotel 1943 ', sadly no location for it however.

This one is obviously civilian, I do have similar style towels with U.S. Army, U.S. Marines, and U.S. Air Corp .

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1262446790.jpg

Hi Forum members & readers,

Shown here is unopened bottle of Coke and a company check ( cheque ) both dated 1944. :rolleyes:

Note that when the check was presented and cashed then it was dated by perforations possibly to ensure it was evident it was cashed and could not be re-presented.

Cheers Lewis

That check reminded me how they used to punch them. As far as homefront items all I have is my ration books as I'm a homefront item being born just before my Dad headed off to war. Cheers Robert

Oh and the little cardboard punch card of a serviceman I've posted before

General Apathy
That check reminded me how they used to punch them. As far as homefront items all I have is my ration books as I'm a homefront item being born just before my Dad headed off to war. Cheers Robert

Oh and the little cardboard punch card of a serviceman I've posted before

Hi Robert, so there you go then, post a photo of yourself as you are an home front item :thumbsup:

Cheers Lewis

post-344-1262446790.jpg

Shown here is unopened bottle of Coke and a company check ( cheque ) both dated 1944. :rolleyes:

Note that when the check was presented and cashed then it was dated by perforations possibly to ensure it was evident it was cashed and could not be re-presented.

Cheers Lewis

Hi Ken! 1944 dated, un-opened Coca-Cola?! Probably lost it's fizz...like me! Actually, I wonder how it would compare with today's Coke in terms of taste and its ingredients? Go on...I dare you. It's the real thing...honestly!

Ian :lol:

General Apathy

post-344-1262459224.jpg

Shown here are six out a set of eleven that I have, all unissued and all smelling ot that smell printed oil-cloth produces.

The other unseen five will be posted in the next post following this one.

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1262459358.jpg

Cont..................

Shown here are the other five from a set of eleven that I have, all unissued and all smelling ot that smell printed oil-cloth produces.

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1262460032.jpg

Shown here is a Civial Defense helmet stencilled up for the area of Santa Barbara.

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1262460490.jpg

post-344-1262460507.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers.

Here are two views of a wartime can of Planter's peanuts, there was a winding key attached to the top for opening the can with, as you can see it has been opened where the missing strip of metal has been removed from around the can with the winding key.

This can came from a serviceman's footlocker, he had used the empty can for storage

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1262467952.jpg

Thats too bad its empty. Could wash the peanuts down with the coke. :lol: Robert

or maybe not

Hi Robert, I do have some other cans of civilian stuff that are full, but sorry no peanuts. :think:

Attached here is a small pocket knife made by ' Schrade Cut. Co. Walden. NY. ' on the reverse it's pattern dated Dec 09, Sept 10 and June 1916, it has the same push button operation as the military issue M-2 knives.

The handle measures just over three inches, and is made of a two tone marbeling effect which is very attractive to look at and slightly art-deco in appearence.

Cheers lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1262469775.jpg

Hi Forum members & Readers,

Shown here is a little home made type of an item, it could possibly have been made by someone that took part in organising the draft lotteries held in Washington DC. It states that the glass bowl used in the lottery draws is held at the Independence Hall in Philadelphia PA. ( wonder if it's still there )

There are three dates given for three different held lotteries, the first at the rear of the bell is for Oct 29 1940, the second to the right of the bell is July 17 1941, and the third one to the left of the bell is March 17 1942. On the rear of the wooden surround has been added an American Legion water decal.

The small tubes holding the draw numbers are made of thin celluloid and have a metal screw cap.

Cheers Lewis

• 9 years later...

Hi from France :)

Here's ma last find in a flea market near Cherbourg ... a nice Waralarm clock ... :) ...

p1170314.jpg

p1170315.jpg