Antiques Roadshow - Arms & Militaria

gunbarrel

• 1 month later...

That wasn't all of them on the list , I remember others , must be selected ones. At least the watermelon sword is not there.

I have known, and done business with Rafael Eledge for a number of years now. A very stand-up guy, and very respected in his field. :thumbsup:

I have known, and done business with Rafael Eledge for a number of years now. A very stand-up guy, and very respected in his field. :thumbsup:

Same here. I can only say good things about Rafael and his website.

- Ron

One of my favorite Antiques Roadshow moments was when a brand new and somewhat self assured collector brought out three pieces of scrimshaw, two of them being powderhorns. The carving on them was exquisite and mentioned many of the battles of the American Revolution. These were top museum quality items and reflected the role of a patriot from the beginning of the war to the end.

The first red flag came up when the collector said that he had gotten these from a dealer who promised he could get many more of them! You did not have to be a Revolutionary War buff to know that these were very rare items and the likelihood of finding a ready supply of them was highly doubtful.

The appraiser politely listened to his story, nodded, and then proceeded to debunk the items from one end to the other. Materials, construction techniques, the carvings themselves all pointed towards very recent production.

I felt some sympathy for the collector who had just had both his most prized possessions as well as his reputation thoroughly skewered on national television... but he had been a bit smug about it from the beginning. Lesson learned the hard way, I suppose.

That appraiser subsequently landed with a Federal Prison term for having schills bring items on the show (and lots of other things) for appraisal so who knows if that was a real or staged event. Sadly at least in the military area , knowledge has not always been a major requirement to be on air.