Something about BoB and SPR

ccmax

I agree Cesar with your first post. I like very much SPR for its unique atmosphere but number of the problems related to SPR is much greater.

I interviewed for the Polish military press one of historical consultants working at the SPR. He was almost furious. He told me "Never more! I will never be working with that arrogant and overwise Spielberg's team. They do not need any historical consultants because they know all better." Also Dr Stephen E. Ambrose was highly disappointed due to the fact how his book was treated as a base for screenplay.

Some time ago there was in internet excellent critique of the SPR under the title of "Bloody but not history" written by (I forgot) somebody from one of the American universities. I agreed with this critique but unfortunately I did not save it and it is no longer available. For money spent on SPR it was possible to made historical movie not quasi-historical compilation of various facts and myths.

What is irritating even for me, as a non-US citizen, is a propagation by the SPR historical myths and lies against US glider pilots and personally against Brig. Gen. Donald F. Pratt of the 101st Abn. They are simply anti-American myths and lies although they are propagated in the form of veiled allusions without mentioning Pratt's name. I mean of course the episode with a glider in SPR. One group of the Americans fights against those absurdities and lies shown in this episode -- the other group of Americans feels very well with those absurdities and lies and propagate them by movie industry. This situation is directed not only against Brig. Gen. Donald F. Pratt but also, or even mainly, against Lt. Col. Michael C. Murphy -- one of the best American aerobatics and glider pilots of that era and a man who piloted Pratt's glider. Both of them are created by SPR as fools who never heard what centre of gravity in aerial craft is and the same goes for flight mechanics. Nobody is able to confirm those legendary "armor plates" in Pratt's glider because it cannot be truth. The reasons of Pratt's glider crash landing were totally other than presented in SPR episode falsifying the history.

Best regards

Greg