Are those wings WWII?

bazelot

Did the Navy not use OLCs on their Purple Hearts?

Navy, Marine Corps, and USCG use a gold star to indicate a subsequent award. A silver star is worn in lieu of 5 awards.

The Army uses bronze and silver OLCs.

Cobrahistorian
Navy, Marine Corps, and USCG use a gold star to indicate a subsequent award. A silver star is worn in lieu of 5 awards.

The Army uses bronze and silver OLCs.

Thanks Bob. I just didn't realize it was for all-service awards. For some reason I figured that all Purple Hearts, Bronze & Silver Stars just had Oak Leaves. Then again, I've never paid much attention to Navy stuff until very recently.

Jon

I just wanted to post pictures of the uniform after it was cleaned. I actually cleaned it by hand (I removed all the buttons before and the boards) and I used bleach with soap. The result is outstanding. The jacket was really dirty to start with and had lots of stains.

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3895.jpg

IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_3897.jpg

Not to be a party pooper, but I'd really worry about a commander with apparently two DSM's, unusual in itself, and the second award is denoted by a small black/bronze star rather than the regulation almost twice as large gold star. And I think the yellow is all too uniform for this to be a discolored NC. For comparison of stars and sizes, though with a NC rather than a DSM, see below. Also shows the larger silver star used to denote five awards, this on the air medal ribbon. Sizes of the stars are clearly spelled out in regulation. When one is presented with the first award, you get the nice case with the medal, the ribbon, and the lapel pin. For the second award they start handing you just the appropriate star. The NC ribbon in this photo was the one received in the first award in June 1942 (for Coral Sea), the star was received in an award in December 1942 (for Midway). Note that the stars worn point down as was the custom in those days. Just my opinion.

WNL1946.jpg