Interesting two-piece Aircrew wing

John Cooper

Hi all - this arrived today and I wanted to share this with you all since I have only seen this pattern on one other wing. At first look it appears to be the GEMSCO pattern but as soon as you match them up you see the wings and shoulder designs are different.

If any of you have similar pattern wings please post them. Additionally if can add any information as to the maker please post that as well.

Thanks

John

Here are the obverse & reverse shots. As you can see this is not your standard wing construction. Besides the rather large hole in the center (which makes it look like a large version of a cadets cap) badge it has very smooth back with a very defined and crisp forcer pattern. This really gives the shoulders a very nice dimensional quality as compared to the very flat look of the GEMSCO pattern that is similar.

post-227-1259361161.jpg

post-227-1259361173.jpg

Here are a few more detail shots the first of which gives a bit more detail to the reverse while the second is a close up of the obverse to show the level of detail this wing has. I look forward to you comments and any additional information you all can provide

Thanks

John

post-227-1259361729.jpg

post-227-1259361737.jpg

I think that is exactly what it is, a cadet's cap badge that has been altered into an aircrew wing. In fact, it looks like you can still see some signs of the original quilt on your wing.

Here is a similar thing used to make an instructor wing for Helena Aerotech

post-1519-1259363336.jpg

The hole in the center is where the propeller was attached for the cadet hat badge. This same technique was used to make WASP W-1 and W-2 wings. They took a cadet wing and soldered the W-1 and W-2 shields onto the wing. I have also seen some of the early Aircrew wings where the center was the top of a uniform button on an Observer wing.

The hole in the center is where the propeller was attached for the cadet hat badge. This same technique was used to make WASP W-1 and W-2 wings. They took a cadet wing and soldered the W-1 and W-2 shields onto the wing. I have also seen some of the early Aircrew wings where the center was the top of a uniform button on an Observer wing.

Did someone mention a Cadet Wing?! A bit fuzzy...sorry.

post-8022-1259413503.jpg

Ian :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Patrick & Sabrejet for posting additional photos as they are helpful. I am adding some more frist another cadet badge. I only wish I knew who made them... :think:

post-227-1260649522.jpg

post-227-1260649510.jpg

Now here is another wing of the same pattern which came with a small grouping of items from an 8th AF navigator. As you can see this wing is more refined then the aircrew which is a bit crude. I really like the finer detailsing on the armillarry.

Please check out the linked thread for more photos and info on this group.

Lt. Walter Dinwiddie 486th BG

Cheers

John

post-227-1260649703.jpg

post-227-1260649694.jpg

John,

Here's a 3" aircrew along lines of your wings. The pin opens only 90 degrees and the wing looks as though it may have had pins for clutches soldered on at one time.

Is there a name for this pattern?

Adam

post-2607-1260843727.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
John,

Here's a 3" aircrew along lines of your wings. The pin opens only 90 degrees and the wing looks as though it may have had pins for clutches soldered on at one time.

Is there a name for this pattern?

Adam

Hi Adam - sorry I missed this post with all the activities of the Christmas holiday. The pattern you have posted has been discussed a few times here. This specific pattern has been found many times with a SMILO marked box. A quick search of the forum will give you additional information.

Thanks for posting.

John

Here is another new addition to the collection since I seem to be on a roll with these "cadet" pattern wings. Here is a nice AG wing - enjoy. It has a one peice target & winged bullet center device attached to the standard cadet pattern wing.

The 64 Thousand dollar question is who was the maker... I am sure there is an oldd catalog out there someplace :think:

Cheers

John

post-227-1261700644.jpg

post-227-1261700652.jpg

• 3 months later...
John Cooper

Bring this back to the top... Here are some new additions to the cadet pattern wings I have - your thoughts and opinions are always welcome. Enjoy these sweetheart wings.

BTW - I think the reverse shot shows how some wings were supposed to be used for the cadet hat badge hence the hole in the center vs. those without.

John

post-227-1271868761.jpg

post-227-1271868776.jpg