Post your engraved wings!

John Cooper

Here is a recent find that I wanted to share with you all. If you have any engraved wings I would love to see them!

Regards,

John

post-227-1259187637.jpg

post-227-1259187647.jpg

Bump - come on now I know they are some super examples out there! Shake off that Turkey induced slumber and post some photos!

Here is another example to get you going... (sorry for the large size - old photo)

post-227-1259551167.jpg

John,

A couple of my engraved WW1 Wing badges. First is a Tiffany full sized with gold US named to Lt. Harry H. Haw. and the Second is a sweetheart WW1 2 1/2" wing with gold US inscription reads " Grace Sept 16, 1918 Chick". Interesting in that I received this wing from Lt. Van Dusen's widow who is not Grace but Helen. Grace was a girlfriend prior to Helen but she kept it with his uniforms just the same. Nice lady.

post-6022-1259851470.jpg

post-6022-1259851490.jpg

Terry,

That is an especially nice sweetheart badge made by Linz Brothers of Dallas, Texas.

Cliff,

Thanks, had a shot at a full size Linz Bro about a year ago, lost out at the last second. So it goes. Have a very Merry Christmas.

Terry

Thanks for raising the bar on this post!

John

John,

I feel that personalized badges from any war are special. They had that "human" side to the conflict.

Terry

John,

I feel that personalized badges from any war are special. They had that "human" side to the conflict.

Terry

I could not agree more Terry!

These are not just bits of metal, ribbons,... this is history that touched the lives of not only the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines but the families as well. In fact one member had posted an engraved wing which was to honor a pilot that died early in the war in a training accident... very touching.

John

Major Corliss C. Moseley was a pilot with the 27th Pursuit Squadron during WWI. After the war, he raced airplanes; invested in commercial airlines (Western Air Express); streamlined aerial mail routes; and was one of the original seven men whom Hap Arnold asked to establish Army Air Corp Contract Flight Schools to train desperatly needed pilots in 1941. Being a man of means, Major C.C. Moseley quickly bought, built and operated Cal Aero Flight Academy, Polaris Flight Academy and Mira Loma Flight Academy on the West Coast. When he hired civilian Contract Flight Instructors, he presented them with three inch gilt colored pilot wings with "Appreciation" inscriptions on the back of the wings. The inscriptions include the date they were first assigned Flying Cadets to train. Over the years I've been fortunate enough to collect a few of these wings and thought some of you might be interested in the engravings on the back.

Russ

IMG_0556.JPG

OMG :twothumbup: Russ you continue to astound me! Thanks for posting such a well researched and beautiful trio of wings. My hat is off to you SIR!

John

OMG :twothumbup: Russ you continue to astound me! Thanks for posting such a well researched and beautiful trio of wings. My hat is off to you SIR!

John

Thanks John. You've posted some equally beautiful engraved wings yourself!

WWII Contract Flight Instructor O.S. Davis received his first gold presentation wings from Major C.C. Moseley on 01-23-42 (as illustrated above) while assigned to Polaris Flight Academy, as a "Basic" flight instructor. He then transferred to Cal Aero Flight Academy and became a "Primary" flight instructor on 02-24-44 and was presented a second set of gilt wings (illustrated below). The inscription has the same wording, but is arranged differently since they used an AECO hollow-back wing instead of a solid-back wing. This one, dated 02-24-44, was more difficult to photograph and does not display as nice, but is still significant to the grouping.

132.JPG

Sweet Russ... it appears you have cornered the market on these wings. In fact I have to say I have never seen a MOSELEY wing before you posted them. As for the photos I think you need a light box to get good photos.

Check this out...

DIY LIGHTBOX

WWII Contract Flight Instructor O.S. Davis received his first gold presentation wings from Major C.C. Moseley on 01-23-42 (as illustrated above) while assigned to Polaris Flight Academy, as a "Basic" flight instructor. He then transferred to Cal Aero Flight Academy and became a "Primary" flight instructor on 02-24-44 and was presented a second set of gilt wings (illustrated below). The inscription has the same wording, but is arranged differently since they used an AECO hollow-back wing instead of a solid-back wing. This one, dated 02-24-44, was more difficult to photograph and does not display as nice, but is still significant to the grouping.

Now you are just showing off!

I have these--they came from an estate sale. I wonder who Hap and Eddie R are, interesting engraving style--looks to be Ariel 24 font doesn't it? I did test the solder, so it has that going for it :thumbsup:

post-1519-1260160355.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello All, New here. Great site. Sorry I'm unable at this time to post a picture.

I have a very odd mystery. Recieved abt 10 yrs ago a Xmas gift from estate sale.

It is Cmand Pilot wing snowflake back marked sterling, professionally engraved

on back. "LIEUT COM J. DREXEL A small sliver plaque hangs from bottom of Wing

so you can read this from the front. "LIEUT COM JACKSON DREXEL 121 AIR CORPS USA"

Yes it actually reads COM not COL. So here is an Army Badge with a Navy Rank.

Did see a chart where a RAF Squad Leader was = to a Navy Lt Commander. Thought

this might be related to the EAGLE SQU 121 given the snowflake back. But no Drexel

is listed. The only other 121 unit I found was Marine but seems to late for this badge.

Any Thoghts Welcome Steve

I think I am willing to wait until you can post some detailed photos to see the style of engraving and the details of the wing.

John

• 1 year later...

Just picked up this Amico Navy Aircrew wing last weekend.

Appears to be Raymond Burks.

I think this is the only time I have seen a Navy Aircrew wing engraved.

Best, John

post-12439-1317841039.jpg