Mounting full size Medals: A tutorial

Stinger Gunner USMC

Stinger Gunner USMC

After requests from a couple fellow Marines on the forum, I have decided to create a tutorial on mounting full size and mini medals.

Tools Needed:

a copy of the uniform regulations

exacto knife

double sided scrapbook mounting tape

duct tape

an accurate slide ruler

a straight edge

mounting bars

and of course, your medals!

post-1672-1259180673.jpg

post-1672-1259180682.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

Mounting medals can be fairly easy if you take your time and study your regulations before hand.

Step 1: remove brass crip slide from the back of your ribbons

Step 2: Place two strips of double sided mounting tape in between the drape of the medal

post-1672-1259180744.jpg

post-1672-1259180757.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

the number of ribbons mounted will dictate overlap and which size mounting bar will be required.

1 Medal - a single ribbon mounting slide

2 Medals - a double ribbon mounting slide, no overlap

3 medals - a triple ribbon mounting slide, no overlap

4 Medals - a quad ribbon mounting slide, no overlap

5 medals- a quad ribbon mounting slide, with overlap

6 medals - a quad ribbon mounting slide, with overlap

7 medals - a quad ribbon mounting slide, with overlap

8 medals - 2 quad ribbon mounting slides, no overlap

9 medals - 2 quad ribbon mounting slides, top slide with 4 medals, bottom with 5.

10 medals - 2 quad ribbon mounting slides, both with 5 overlapped medals.

You will have to do the math to accuratly figure out the equal amount of overlap that your ribbon bar will require.

I do know that with 5 medals, 1" of each ribbon shows except for the inboard most ribbon which shows in full.

post-1672-1259180924.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

Alternating the ribbons creates a stronger mount. Make sure to use double sided mounting tape between each fold of ribbon material

post-1672-1259181282.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

After weaving the overlaped ribbons together, place a piece of double sided mounting tape on a mounting bar then apply to the back side of the ribbon, leaving enough ribbon material to fold over the mounting bar.

post-1672-1259181382.jpg

post-1672-1259181394.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

the second to last step is applying a second piece of double sided mounting tape to the post side of the mounting bar. then fold over the remaining ribbon material. You will have to use an exacto knife to cut slits so the ribbon material will go around the posts on the mounting bar

post-1672-1259181491.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

The last step is to use duct tape or gorilla tape to create a finished appearance and to help hold everything together

post-1672-1259181601.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

These photos show the length and overlap for a set of 5 mini medals.

Length will stay constant but overlap will vary depending on the number of medals mounted. These 5 medals are mounted on a standard double ribbon mount

post-1672-1259181665.jpg

post-1672-1259181687.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

Length of a set of full size medals.

NOTE: for Desert Storm veterans, the Saudi Arabian Liberation medal will not be able to mount within these regulations and is usually mounted as short as possible but the medalion almost always hangs lower than all other medals on the mount

post-1672-1259181781.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

The finished product.

Please note that this procedure is conforming to Marine Corps regulations. The basic principle can be used for all branches but please refer to your uniform reg's for proper lengths and overlaps in your branch of service.

If anyone has any comments, questions or needs clarification on any portion of the process please feel free to ask.

The medals shown in the final photo are my own set that I mounted. After my Company CO saw them he sent me to the BN CO who turned me into a medal mounting factory at the BN HQ prior to the Marine Corps ball each year, so I have mounted hundreds of sets of medals for the guys in my battalion. I used to have an index card that listed the exact overlap for 5, 6 or 7 ribbons per bar but I cannot find it at the moment. If I do I will post the overlap numbers on the tutuorial.

post-1672-1259182049.jpg

Where can you find a single row quad mount? I want to mount my 12 medals, although they are USAF. I actually requested a change to the OI's before I got out to increase the single row limit to 6 medals instead of 3. Thanks for any help.

-Ski

Where can you find a single row quad mount? I want to mount my 12 medals, although they are USAF. I actually requested a change to the OI's before I got out to increase the single row limit to 6 medals instead of 3. Thanks for any help.

-Ski

Hi Ski. I was wanting to restore a uniform which is minus its rack. I happened upon www.eaglesofwar.com a US company who sell a range of rack combinations. I've not done any business with them yet, but the stuff they have seems ok.

Ian

Hi Ski. I was wanting to restore a uniform which is minus its rack. I happened upon www.eaglesofwar.com a US company who sell a range of rack combinations. I've not done any business with them yet, but the stuff they have seems ok.

Ian

That did the trick! Thanks Ian!

-Ski

That did the trick! Thanks Ian!

-Ski

Comes to something when a Brit civilian has to advize a former American servicemen on where to get his medals mounted!!! :lol:

(Glad to be of service!)

Ian ;)

Stinger Gunner USMC

Just got back from being out of town for Turkey Day. Thanks for the kind remarks and to the Moderator for pinning the tutorial for easier reference for our servicemen and women on the forum.

The ribbon/medal mounts that I have always used are Officers Equipment Company, which is the primary supplier at USMC bases. Im sure they have a website or may be available by special order through the AAFES system. I know supply for most of the medals and other mounting supplies begin to dry up by mid Oct on most USMC bases due to the Ball, so be sure to get everything early.

Another Think that I didn't address was the mounting of service stars/OLC's etc. A trick I learned from my 1st Sgt was to use a very small dab of tacky glue after removing both of the fold over tacks. If you need to add a device, simply pull off the old one and use your fingernail to scrape off the tacky glue residue and in most cases you can salvage the ribbon drape.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Gunner, I got motivated to mount my service medals. It is a lot harder than it looks, believe me! The results are pretty amatuerish and wouldn't pass muster anywhere, but I'm happy with how they look. I had the nameable medals engraved a couple years ago at the local jewelers. When the owner found out that the medals belonged to me, he did them for free!!! Neat, hey? Anyways, thanks again Gunner for the tutorial!!

-Ski

post-3043-1260124542.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Stinger Gunner USMC

Ski, they look great! Im glad my tutorial came to use for someone! It did take a lot of practice before I was brave enough to start doing them for others. I picked up a bunch of campaign medals from thrift stores around San Diego for a buck here and there and butchered those up rather than screwing up new medals. Just like riding a bike, practice makes perfect! Do you recall the maker of your medals, I like the antique finish they have to them.(the dark recesses) My anodized ones are alright but when I get around to making a shadow box for my boys i'd like to use non anodized because you can't really make out the designs on the medals

Ski, they look great! Im glad my tutorial came to use for someone! It did take a lot of practice before I was brave enough to start doing them for others. I picked up a bunch of campaign medals from thrift stores around San Diego for a buck here and there and butchered those up rather than screwing up new medals. Just like riding a bike, practice makes perfect! Do you recall the maker of your medals, I like the antique finish they have to them.(the dark recesses) My anodized ones are alright but when I get around to making a shadow box for my boys i'd like to use non anodized because you can't really make out the designs on the medals

All of them are standard issue medals. Some are Vanguard, others Crapo (Graco). The next project is to remount this gargantuan unnamed group. They are currently slid on standard ribbon bars. It will be quite a bit of work when time comes. :blink:

-Ski

post-3043-1260973090.jpg