94th Aero Squadron WW1

Steindaddie

I've had this for quite some time but have never known what to make of it. Pages from a journal of sorts from Lt. Allan Winslow but I have doubts as to their authenticity. Nothing I can put my finger on; just call me a natural born skeptic. :rolleyes:

It reads:

Lieutenant Allan Winslow

94th Aero Squadron

AEF

April 13th 1918

Toul France

Mission #1

Pont-a-Mousson to Saint - Mihel

16,000' - 2 Hours

Captain Mc K. Peterson

Lieutenant Reid Chambers

Lieutenant Edward Rickenbacker

post-1949-1258998527.jpg

You know, it does appear to be an older man's handwriting manner, and the lettering style does appear to be what a man of that age group would have been taught in grammar school

• 2 weeks later...
I've had this for quite some time but have never known what to make of it. Pages from a journal of sorts from Lt. Allan Winslow but I have doubts as to their authenticity. Nothing I can put my finger on; just call me a natural born skeptic. :rolleyes:

It reads:

Lieutenant Allan Winslow

94th Aero Squadron

AEF

April 13th 1918

Toul France

Mission #1

Pont-a-Mousson to Saint - Mihel

16,000' - 2 Hours

Captain Mc K. Peterson

Lieutenant Reid Chambers

Lieutenant Edward Rickenbacker

Steindaddie: Those are interesting and certainly valuable items to have. It appears that you have the autographs of three famous WWI pilots. 2nd Lt. Alan Winslow was a member of the Lafayette Flying Corps, Spa. 152 from 10 July 1917 to 1 February 1918 when he transferred to the Air Service AEF as a member of the 94th Aero Squadron. On 14 April, the day after your documents are dated, he and Douglas Campbell each shot down an Albatros DV, both German planes crashing on the American airfield. The two German planes were the "first two enemy planes brought down by any American squadron..." Winslow himself was shot down and seriously wounded on 31 July 1918. He crashed behind the German lines and was made a POW for the rest of the war. He is officially credited with 1.33 kills during WWI. The .33 came from a kill he shared with Jimmy Meisner and Thorne Taylor on 13 June 1918.

I don't know what those pages belong to, but you're right that it might have been a journal. If you have the time, please tell us how you acquired them. They are a terrific collector's item and I wish I had them. The Best to you, Dwight (drmessimer)

The sources for my information on Alan Winslow are, Edward V. Rickenbacker, Fighting the Flying Circus,; and US Air Service Victory Credits in World War I, USAF Historical Study No. 133, Maxwell AFB: Air University, June. 1969

I don't know what those pages belong to, but you're right that it might have been a journal. If you have the time, please tell us how you acquired them.

Dwight,

These entries were scribbled in a religious book belonging to Winslow - no other entries were made. According to a letter that is tucked inside, this book was kept by a squadron mate who took care of Winslow's effects after he was captured. After the war, Winslow gave his mate the book as a token of his gratitude. The name of his squadron mate escapes me; I'm at work and don't have the book with me.

Best regards,

~Will