8th AAF uniform

CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

I forgot that I had this until I went into my closet today. Thsi was an ebay find from about 4-5 years ago Its a nice 8th AAF uniform for an engineering SGT. The ribbons are sewn on and the wide variety.

hh_001.jpg

hh_005.jpg

I forgot that I had this until I went into my closet today. Thsi was an ebay find from about 4-5 years ago Its a nice 8th AAF uniform for an engineering SGT. The ribbons are sewn on and the wide variety.

Very nice. Is there any sign of him ever having worn any sort of wings? He obviously saw combat, as evidenced by the PH ribbon, so I am curious.

Hi Justin,

If a land engineer will be wounded by an enemy airplane it can receive a PH??

One teory: an airplane can have attacked the base and enginneer was wounded by splinters or shots comes of air.

Best regards,

Ricardo.

If I recall the Luftwaffe dumped a least a couple of Bombs on the 8th AF bases... wink2.gif

...or another AAF in ETO. Is possible that Sergeant was of another Air Force in Italy or Africa before being of Eighth....maybe wounded and transferred to England.

Best regards,

Ricardo.

CNY Militaria

But then he would probably wear the patch of his former unit as well, right?

But then he would probably wear the patch of his former unit as well, right?

Hi Justin,

Good question .... I do not know if it was obligator.

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Informations...by google.com:

"Army soldiers are authorized to wear their former unit's patch on the right shoulder"

"Unless the rule has changed it is a authorized for a former unit in which they served in combat (i.e. were eligible for combat pay) not just any former unit".

"Actually you can be authorized a combat patch or FWTS-SSI (Former Wartime Service - Shoulder Sleeve Insignia) without even a war going on. My unit deployed to Kuwait in the summer of 1992 and we were authorized to wear combat patches and not a shot was fired. Although we did recieve hazardous duty pay".

"It can get even more confusing. My father served in combat in both WWII and Korea, thereby being authorized to wear first his WWII patch on his right sleeve, and later his Korean unit patch as the later combat patch. However, for his retirement ceremony he requested and received permission to wear the patch of the WWII division he served under when he won his Silver Star, even though that was much earlier - 17 years earlier - in his career."

Hi Justin,

Exist the possibility of the Sergeant have been wounded in flight as observing and not to have the number of missions enough for a Air Medal or training to be a Air Crew....also remembers of that bad luck went of "illegal passenger" to make a mission under enemy territory... maybe that was wounded in action.

Best regards,

Ricardo.

CNY Militaria

Thats possible,I remember seeing that a few times in the movie "Twelve O'Clock High!". Unauthorized ground crew going on the plane and nearly getting hurt or killed trying to shoot down enemy planes.

• 3 weeks later...