History of Army "Duck Hunter" Camo Pattern

ken1967

I'm going out on a limb here and showing my complete lack of knowledge on this subject, so please be kind :rolleyes:

Having recently acquired a Army camo patterned HBT jacket, I've started noticing this pattern while watching the History Channel, Military Channel, etc. So the question came into my head, other than a QM tag, how the heck can you tell when a jacket/pattern was in use?

What made me think about this was some newsreel footage on the 60's era Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba. The CIA backed insurgents were wearing what appears to be a similar/same pattern camo as the WWII variety seen around. So, what were they wearing?

post-79-1180895034.jpg

Also, if this pattern carried forward into subsequent conflicts, how do you tell when looking at a jacket what period it's from?

Thanks!

Ken

Great link on the uniforms worn in the Cuban campaign! Thanks!

Was the WWII pattern used elsewhere? Were surplus uniforms distributed elsewhere for use?

Greg Robinson

I've been told by collectors in England that some USMC cammies went to France post WW2 and worn during their ill fated venture into Indochina in the '50's. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of these same cammies were worn at the Bay of Pigs in Cuba.

I wonder how many of the ultra rare USMC P42 cammies got used up this way?

Poking around on the WAF site, I saw a member had a pair of the Kamo Vietnam era uniforms for sale. The differences between it and its WWII predecessor are pretty obvious. Everything from the 3-pocket configuration to the non-reversible nature of the uniform.

Definitely helps to see a set for reference.