A Higgins Boat on display

kyhistorian01

kyhistorian01

I thought you might enjoy seeing photo of a Higgins Boat restored by and on display at the Mott's Military Museum in Groveport, Ohio. I visited the museum last week and here is a photo of the boat.

Robert

post-6492-1258853592.jpg

There aren't many of these to be found anymore! To the passerby it's a square box in front of building but, to the military historian... it's one of the holy grails. :thumbsup:

Great post--I'd give my front teeth to get to climb inside one.

The Military Museum in Stuart,FL has one they are restoring to running condition. You may have your wish one day-without giving up your front teeth !!!

To the passerby it's a square box in front of building...

One of the interesting things about the Higgins Boats is that from all appearance it does indeed appear to be a box on par with those towed river barges.

But the secret of the Higgins Boat's success was below the waterline, and is not seen in most photos.

One website describes it like this:

A deep vee hull forward led to a reverse-curve section amidships and two flat planning sections aft, flanking a semi-tunnel that protected the propeller and shaft. Aerated water flowing under the forefoot of the boat created less friction when the boat was moving and allowed for faster speeds and maneuverability. Because of the reverse curve, objects in the water would be pushed away from the boat at a point between the bow and amidships (including the aerated water - only solid water reached the propeller). This allowed continuous high-speed running and cut down on damage to the propeller, as floating objects seldom came near it. The flat sections aft, on either side of the shaft tunnel, actually had a catamaran/planing effect which added to the hull speed.

In this photo you can see the deep vee forward:

higginsb1.jpg

In this photo you can really see the curve ("rocker") of the bottom - this rocker curve makes it easier to turn the boat (for example whitewater kayaks have a pronounced rocker, while flatwater kayaks had a straight bottom).

higginsb2.jpg

The Higgin Memorial website http://www.higginsmemorial.com/design.asp at also writes:

The boat could land a platoon of 36 men with their equipment, or a jeep and 12 men, extract itself quickly, turn around without broaching in the surf, and go back out to get more troops and/or supplies. This was critical - any landing craft that could not extract itself would hinder the ability of succeeding waves to reach the beachhead. The tough, highly maneuverable Higgins boats allowed Allied commanders to plan their assaults on relatively less-defended coastline areas and then support a beachhead staging area rather than be forced to capture a port city with wharves and facilities to offload men and material.

kyhistorian01
How about some directions to Motts'? What else is there?

G

Hi Gil,

Motts military museum has a web site that has directions. It is south east of columbus in Groveport, Ohio. The museum has just finished adding a new building and many of their displays are being rearranged right now. The full museum will be opened in late spring of 2010. They have exhibits spanning the Civil War though the present day and hightlights include a large display of 10th mountain division material from WWII, Eddie Rickenbackers military trunk, a field uniform from General Westmoreland, and a large collection of Nazi and Italian material brought back by a US Army major who was an intelligence officer, including the uniform and some personal effects from Nazi Interior Minister Wilhelm Frick. The collection is quite extensive and also includes a display on Korean War Medal of Honor Recipient Ronald Rosser.

Robert

Hi Gil,

Motts military museum has a web site that has directions. It is south east of columbus in Groveport, Ohio. The museum has just finished adding a new building and many of their displays are being rearranged right now. The full museum will be opened in late spring of 2010. They have exhibits spanning the Civil War though the present day and hightlights include a large display of 10th mountain division material from WWII, Eddie Rickenbackers military trunk, a field uniform from General Westmoreland, and a large collection of Nazi and Italian material brought back by a US Army major who was an intelligence officer, including the uniform and some personal effects from Nazi Interior Minister Wilhelm Frick. The collection is quite extensive and also includes a display on Korean War Medal of Honor Recipient Ronald Rosser.

Robert

Thanx. The website is at http://www.mottsmilitarymuseum.org/home.html

I will certainly visit on one of my trips down to your neck of the woods.

G

Motts even has the tank the Govenator was assigned to when he was in the Austrian Army! I've read that Arnold stops in from time to time to reminisce.

Here is a photo I took at Reading back in 2006. I lucked out when the jeep drove past, allowing me to take a photographic remembrance of Ike's statement that the three things that won WWII were the Jeep, the C-47 and the Higgins boat.

Tom :thumbsup:

post-81-1258942305.jpg

kyhistorian01
Motts even has the tank the Govenator was assigned to when he was in the Austrian Army! I've read that Arnold stops in from time to time to reminisce.

Here is a photo I took at Reading back in 2006. I lucked out when the jeep drove past, allowing me to take a photographic remembrance of Ike's statement that the three things that won WWII were the Jeep, the C-47 and the Higgins boat.

Tom :thumbsup:

Hi Tom,

Arnold took his tank back. He only had it on loan and the people at the museum told me that a while back his people brought a truck, loaded it up and took it with very little notice to the museum staff. By the way nice photo.

Robert

• 3 weeks later...