Post your US Army Pocket Patches

Proud Kraut

Some amazing patches, pictures and background informations. I'm adding a 1950' German made 76th Tank Bn patch. The 76th TB was part of the 11th Airborne Div then.

76_Tank_Bn.JPG

@CaptCav, the following units were not based in Kirchgoens ("The Rock") but the patches were made in a similar style as the 22nd Inf.

503rd Abn Inf Rgt

503rd_AIR.jpg

28th Transp Bn.

28th_Transp_Bn.jpg

40th Signal Bn.

40th_Signal_Bn.jpg

45th Eng Bn Con

45th_Eng_Bn_Con.jpg

You really have some very good Infantry pp there! Here are some more of mine:

29th Infantry

29th_Infantry.jpg

50th Infantry ( In the 1950's as 2nd Armored Rifle Bn, 50th Inf with the 4th Armored Div in Germany).

50th_Inf.jpg

A 87th Mountain Infantry pp with blazer patch and DUI (all German made).

87_2.JPG

1st, 2nd, 3rd Bn, 138th Infantry

138th_Inf.jpg

B Company, 1st Bn, 179th Infantry

1_179_Inf_B_Co.jpg

@ Ricardo: The best patches are those on uniforms, great one! Parts of the 16th Infantry served with the 1st ID while one Bn (3rd?) served with the Berlin Bde.

@ lamarhooten: Aaaah the Arty pp, my favourites!!! If you ever decide to focus on Infantry, Airborne etc. we can work something out...lol

Will continue with some Infantry pp, before posting Arty as well.

161st Infantry

161st_Inf.jpg

178th Infantry.

178th_Inf.jpg

370th Armd Inf Bn

370th_Inf.jpg

746th Armd Inf Bn.

746th_Armed_Inf_Bn.jpg

Did we have this one? 71st Infantry.

Lars

71st_Infantry.jpg

Don't forget this one.....

Jaaaaaa! I wonder what SSI they did wear with that pp. 11th Abn Div? VIIth Corps? May somebody can help me here.

Lars

Jaaaaaa! I wonder what SSI they did wear with that pp. 11th Abn Div? VIIth Corps? May somebody can help me here.

Lars

Lars -

The 370th AIB was an element of the U.S. Constabulary Forces, but I doubt they wore this as a PP then. Upon inactivation of the last Constab units in Dec 1952, the 370th AIB was attached to the 6th ACR, which in turn was an element of VII Corps. The 6th ACR gyroscoped back to CONUS in 1957. I have never seen photos, but they probably wore this during their assignment w/ the 6th ACR.

Dave, thank you one more time for these informations. These Cav unit patches will always be a kind of mystery for me. I have seen pictures of the same patches (e.g. 2nd ACR, 3rd ACR, 6th ACR worn as pocket patches and/or as SSI). I assume depending on era and attachment status it varied from time to time. Some more of my very few Cav pocket patches...

8th Cav

8th_Cav.jpg

12th Cav, 3rd Squadron, Recon

12th_Cav.jpg

12th Cav and 101st Cav (I think lamarhooten posted the 101st one variation without motto).

12th_Cav_und_101st_ACR.jpg

104th ACR

104th_ACR.jpg

This one was posted before without unit designation tab on top. 150th Cav.

150th_Cav.jpg

For the uncountable mass of Air Cav patches that do exist I will post this one as a example

6th_Air_Cav_2nd_Squadron.jpg

There are a couple of own threads about TCQC patches; this one as another sample

32_Armor_TCQC.jpg

Okay, one more example from the "Black Horse Regiment"

11th_ACR.jpg

last one for tonight: 3rd Armor Div, 2nd Bde.

Lars

3_Armor_2_Bde.JPG

Dave, thank you one more time for these informations. These Cav unit patches will always be a kind of mystery for me. I have seen pictures of the same patches (e.g. 2nd ACR, 3rd ACR, 6th ACR worn as pocket patches and/or as SSI). I assume depending on era and attachment status it varied from time to time. Some more of my very few Cav pocket patches...

8th Cav

Lars -

Here is my 8th...again, KW.

post-622-1260576303.jpg

Hello again! Those are some good looking patches! :w00t: Still have a few more to post. Will have to dig out some that i haven't photographed a get them up here! More for Lars! :thumbsup:

post-3643-1260582371.jpg

pic 2 for Lars :thumbsup: These have ben put before or by someone else! I think :think:

post-3643-1260582418.jpg

I dont have to many pocket patches and most of the ones in my collection have already been displayed so no use wasting server space, I do however have this patch that I bought years ago for .25 cents! I found a second copy a few months back for $2.00 so it is definatly one of my favriotes price wise! I also know that a patch that looks similiar to this except it is in orange and has signal instead is floating around, if you have one for sale let me know.

post-5665-1260641076.jpg

Who's next? Me? Would like to go on with some Engineer patches. I have some doubts with a few of them. You comments are appreciated!

A German made 93rd Eng Co.

93rd_Eng_Co.jpg

173rd Eng Co.

173rd_Eng_Co.jpg

1778 Eng Co.

1778th_Eng_Co.jpg

10th Eng.

10th_Eng.jpg

10th Eng ADM Pltn.

ADM.jpg

37th Eng.

37th_Eng_Bn.jpg

82nd Eng.

82nd_Eng_Bn.jpg

169th Eng.

169_Eng_Bn.jpg

I posted that before. A 7th Eng Bde shooting/"marksman" patch.

Lars

7_Eng_Bde.JPG

Well i quess its my turn again! I think Lars and I are starting to repeat! I will have to dig out some i haven't photograghed yet and get them up here! pic 1

post-3643-1260670677.jpg

pic 2

post-3643-1260670735.jpg

Thank you all for posting your patches, if we go on with this frequency we'll have a nice reference in 2-3 years :w00t:

@lamarhooten, that 9th Div Arty "shell" patch is a killer, one of my all time favourite wants. If anybody has one extra, please contact me at once!!!

You are absolutely right conserning the reps. I will check very carefully what we have and what we don't, before posting the next ones. ("8P" My Personal Proper Planning Prevents Pi..ed Performance when Posting Program) I Promise!

Will go one with Infantry (Sorry I lost track of "when was what unit Airborne-Parachute-Glider-Infantry-Rgt/Bn/Battle Group-Combat Team"????) Maybe sombody has some general rules for that. I'm not so familiar with the US Army structur (even impossible to follow up ours). I'll post the numbers only.

We have seen some incredible WW II Airborne insignia, especially posted by APO472 and Pathfinder505. Mine are all from the Cold War era, the more common stuff. If I've had posted some collector copies please feel free to correct me with these. Sometimes it's hard to differentiate, which were made for the units and which were made for the collectors market.

I'll start with 187th

187th_AIR.jpg

187th (RCT for sure).

187th_RCT.jpg

325th.

325th_Glider_Inf.jpg

502nd

502nd_AIR.jpg

503rd.

503rd_AIR.jpg

504th

504th_Abn_Inf.jpg

507th

507th_PIR.jpg

509th right and 1-509th RECON on the left.

509th_Abn_Inf.jpg

541st.

541st_AIR.jpg

Some Recondo unit patches - hope I posted no doubles today.

Recondo.jpg

507th

Lar's if you do not mind,but your 504th and 507th are not real for lack of a better term. To my knowledge these are repros made with a Disney flair for the 507th and a copy of another repro made by Ray Morrone in 1970's. These have been repeated in numerous publications in error which just perpetuated the myth. Mort

Mort, thank you very much for your comment, I appreciate it!

For the 504th I remember somebody told me something like "worn, when the unit was in Lebanon..." Obviously nonsense.

Lars

Here is the 30th Artillery Brigade

Any background information on that one? I was in the 30th Arty Bde (AD) from 1970-1972. I never saw that one and I collected patches at the time.

radmanpatches

Here are a few of mine that I did not see many pictured of already.

Mark

post-1664-1260743590.jpg

A few more.

post-1664-1260743634.jpg

a few more.

post-1664-1260743661.jpg

The last for now. A lot of these were from Ft. Carsom where my dad was the CSM of the post.

post-1664-1260743792.jpg

Lar's if you do not mind,but your 504th and 507th are not real for lack of a better term. To my knowledge these are repros made with a Disney flair for the 507th and a copy of another repro made by Ray Morrone in 1970's. These have been repeated in numerous publications in error which just perpetuated the myth. Mort

The 504th and 507th were both made for the collector's market. The soldier who had the 504th's made up only had 5-6 made. He was shocked to see all the others on the market (PK, HG). The 507th is some sort of bizarre "variant". Looks like the old dudes know stuff, Lars.