Post your US Army Pocket Patches

Proud Kraut

Hi Pat, bestens!!! Klasse 76th Armor patch.

Hey Lars did you mean "73rd" Armor patches, and not "76th" ?

Although the 73rd Armor ancestry started out with the 76th Tank. Bn.

Some info copied out of the 756th Tank Bn. website, http://www.756tank.com/ hope I'm not getting too off topic.

Constituted 13 January 1941 in the Regular Army as the 76th Tank Battalion (Light). Redesignated 8 May 1941 as the 756th Tank Battalion (Light). Activated 1 June 1941 at Fort Lewis, Washington. Inactivated 8 February 1946 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey. Activated 1 August 1946 at Frot Benning, Georgia. Reorganized and redesignated 15 January 1948 as the 756th Heavy Tank Battalion. Redesignated 73rd Heavy Tank Battalion, 10 January 1949.

here are a couple of mine for you Airborne lovers.

You should be very proud to have the 503rd with the wool border, it is one hard to find ,and rare patch. Mort

Patch,

Aside from the "merrowed" border when comparing the two side by side, there are a number of similiar traits. The most obvious is the details in the wing "feathering". That coupled with the fact that there were limited manufacturers within 90 miles of Toccoa in the 1940's, things start to add up.

Not wishing to ruffle anyones feathers, but the use of the word "real" to describe your patch can get us into a semantic debate which I wish to avoid. For this group of patches ie. the airborne units of WW2 there is to me something I hope to clear up; and that is what was worn and what was made for collecters and vets to wear? The simple answer: realistically we can never really know, so why even debate the question. These are highly collectible items and eventhough made in quantity are still rare and very collectible. A vet or post war soldier buying a patch from Boots or some other company does not diminish its" realness."That being said we have alittle problem because there are some who almost poo-poo the whole thing by saying they were made for collecters. This is especially true for the 551st unit which was basically destroyed during the war, and only a handful of theather made are known to exist; but yet there is the felt pocket patch that was made available from these companies which today are highly desireable; are they real? To me they are as real as an European theather inf division patches being made in Japan after the war! We have seen multiple of these Japanese patches command high prices on Ebay;are they real? My suggestion collect what you like and feel comfortable with;these are inponderable questions with no definitive answer.Real or otherwise the collecting community in general accepts these patch as real and for that matter so do all of the respected dealers at any show you attend as well as Ebay dealers.

What is little known and now revealed publically for all in the forum , is the fact that the pink "real" 517th though real enough is not the first original patch of the unit. At the ASMIC show 2001 in San Diego I was lucky enough to find what we believe to be first patch , along with the verification of Patchjohnson who also has the same patch and whose knowledge on this subject is second to none. The basic design is the same, except smaller and the flames are red. This was to my knowledge the patch first issued and worn by the unit. For completeness on the subject I have to mention another variation that is machine made and probably from France; that is the same basic design but has orange flames. If you think the red is hard to find try to find the orange. This is all just my opinion and hope that you find this somewhat helpful as that was the intent of this note. Mort

It's getting better and better every day; thank you all for posting!

Some 3rd InfDiv related ones including some novelty patches:

3_d.JPG

some more

3rd.JPG

Cooool ones!!!

Some for the Cav collectors. 4th Cav with yellow and red border.

4_Cav.JPG

4_Cav_a.JPG

A little bit more Cav...

PP3.JPG

@ lamarhooten, the brother of your Academic instructor:

FI.jpg

A little bit more Cav...

I was made aware that I mixed up SSI and PP in this picture. The only PP here ist the 15th Cav with motto, thanks a lot for this hint! :thumbsup:

I'm adding a 3rd Armor Div 2nd Brigade patch then.

Lars

pathfinder505

I got these with some other patches I bought recently

post-197-1259263908.jpg

Here are some Px pocket patches

post-197-1259263962.jpg

post-197-1259263978.jpg

Some of my Airborne pocket patches.

post-197-1259264029.jpg

post-197-1259264045.jpg

post-197-1259264059.jpg

post-197-1259264072.jpg

post-197-1259264092.jpg

another one

post-197-1259265264.jpg

Thanks for posting these premier patches here!!!

I'd like to add a bullion "Made in Bavaria" 13th Inf pp. The patch had 3 pins (1 remaining) to remove it before laundring.

Lars

13th_Infantry.jpg

@lamarhooten: some very very nice Infantry patches, thanks for sharing.

I'm adding two 18th Inf ones. Left: US made, right: German made for the Intel & Recon platoon.

Lars

18th_Inf.jpg

@ lamarhooten: I was already awaiting you daily contribution. I'm looking for this 3rd Medical Bn patch for sooooo long now.

...one of my favourites: 62nd AAA Bn (AW, SP), served in Germany from the early 1950's.

62.jpg

See the trooper far right, he's wearing the 62nd AAA pp. (Source: www.usarmygermany.com)

62nd_AAA_Bn_12_.jpg

Hi Pat, nice one! As far as I remember these circle Armored Forces patches were sold in PX shops only, kind of novelty patches.

While we're on it, two 69th Armor variants.

69th_Armor.jpg

Two 70th Armor pocket patches.

70th_Armor.jpg

See the trooper far right, he's wearing the 62nd AAA pp. (Source: www.usarmygermany.com)

Are those red name tapes? What is the story with them?

Large Korean-made 7th Infantry Division "Davy Crockett" pocket patch. Dates from the early 1960's. This unit was formed to fire tactical atomic weapons.

Kurt

post-322-1259524603.jpg

Large Korean-made 7th Infantry Division "Davy Crockett" pocket patch. Dates from the early 1960's. This unit was formed to fire tactical atomic weapons.

Kurt

post-322-1259524603.jpg

:w00t: Been looking for some 'Davy Crocket' stuff for awhile! Work with a fellow that had to haul that setup around and fire when ready. Always wanted to get a patch with that connection! I might have an extra of something you don't have for trade!! :thumbsup: :w00t: