The World At War series

normaninvasion

normaninvasion

To all those interested in WW2 and have not seen this series, you must go out, not rent, but layout the money and buy this series. IMO, there has not and probably will not be a better doncumentry on ww2. Excellent narration from Sir. Laurence Olivier. Interviews with key players involved with the war, we are lucky to have.The best war footage to be seen. I watched this on tv in the 80s, rented the whole series in college, and own it. Always go back to it and enjoy, perfect to revisit on a rainy sunday or a night of bad tv. Only critical point is lack of U.S. involvement, esp in the pacific. As this was a BBC production and done in the 70s, there was budget and time issues. A must have :thumbsup: Jeff

To all those interested in WW2 and have not seen this series, you must go out, not rent, but layout the money and buy this series. IMO, there has not and probably will not be a better doncumentry on ww2. Excellent narration from Sir. Laurence Olivier. Interviews with key players involved with the war, we are lucky to have.The best war footage to be seen. I watched this on tv in the 80s, rented the whole series in college, and own it. Always go back to it and enjoy, perfect to revisit on a rainy sunday or a night of bad tv. Only critical point is lack of U.S. involvement, esp in the pacific. As this was a BBC production and done in the 70s, there was budget and time issues. A must have :thumbsup: Jeff

I have it, not been able to watch it all yet but it's good from what I see :thumbsup:

It's a timeless series and one of my life's ambitions is to watch it from beginning to end.

It's also grim, gritty and realistic. I think that is a reflection of the generation who made it to tell their own story. There is no glorification or romantic images of war in this series. It really drives home the point that the people who lived through it paid a terrible cost and were quite happy to see it end.

Tommymonkey192

Now there's a blast from the past. I used to watch it when I was a kid back in the '70s. One of the local TV stations used to run it all the time.

Kurt Barickman

No doubt, one of the best :thumbsup: As a young teenager in the early 1970s, it was on every Sunday night on Minnesota Public Television. The great thing about that series is that so many of the real movers and shakers of WWII were intereviewed. No doubt a great series.

Kurt Barickman

The best WW2 show EVER .

If you have not seen it CIG go give yourself an education .

This one is so well put together it makes some of thne crap made today lookc like childs play .

owen

Couldn't agree more. If you can do it, you should try watching it from start to finish over the period of a few nights (about 35 hours!!!)

Happy viewing.

Rob

• 1 month later...
Lightning Ace

I loved the series, especially the color segments and I do plan on getting it.

Mike

IMHO it is the best WW2 Documentary series available.

It has to be a role model series to anybody studying documentary making also.

• 8 months later...

I got a World at War a year or so ago from Borders, and the whole series is awesome. I love how they went into detail in the Normandy Invasion and explained all the beaches and who was at each section of the beach. They cover absolutely almost ever nook and crannie of WW2. Theres a ton of stuff I didn't know about the war until I watched it, especially Japan. I recommend paying the cash and buying it.

• 6 months later...
Corsair pilot

I think this is the best series on WW2. I have it and watched it over and over many times.

kenny

An awesome series and one that you can get for not too bad of a price these days. I bought the series a couple years ago and was pleasantly surprised at the stock footage used as it was excellent.

-Ski

No doubt, one of the best :thumbsup: As a young teenager in the early 1970s, it was on every Sunday night on Minnesota Public Television. The great thing about that series is that so many of the real movers and shakers of WWII were intereviewed. No doubt a great series.

Kurt Barickman

Agreed !! Fond memories of watching this series back in the early 70s with my Dad who was a WWII veteran.

Vic

• 1 month later...

Checked out your review.Very good. The reason this series was so important was that many of the major decision maker's whether cilvilian or military where still living. Who can forget general brian horrocks recount his reluctence in ordering the bombardment of the city of cleve when his XXX corps had invested the city in 1945. And to this day(1971) he still think's and sometimes i gather dream,s about cleve. With all the thing's that happened to him and all the thing's he's went through in two world war's, this is the one thing that haunt's him. The honesty and candidness in which he said this in itself is historical. Indeed this series can never be beat and never be duplicated for those very reason's.

• 5 years later...

I watched this documentary back in the mid 1970's. I was about 15 years old. It was narrated by Laurence Olivier (before his Sir title) with commentary from my Dad, a WWII veteran. He sang along with all the German songs, and i really thought that he might start goose stepping across the room. I remember feeling a disappointment when the music started playing that signaled the end of that weeks episode. The war was 30 years past at this point.

My son bought the Series last year and i watched it with him. I realized that 40 years had gone by since watching it with Dad.

Wow time flies !!!