WWII Wooden Bunk Bed Mattress

AirMechanic

Last week I purchased a 1943 dated wooden bunk bed. It came with two mattresses. Does anyone have a picture of what original mattresses looked like? I have no idea if these are original or not.

All the ones I ever slept on were grey with thin blue stripes. Sleep on it for a night, if by morning, you feel like you would have been better just standing in a corner, then is probably correct. I am only partially joking there.

craig_pickrall

They are about 6" thick and you can roll them up easily.

I have an original WW2 matress sewn to an officer's Model 1935 Bed Roll. If no one else can come up with a photo I can take pics of that one. But it has to be a last resort because it is a real pain to dig that thing out of storage.

here is a quick picture I took of it. I'm not sure if it is enough to get a correct ID. The mattress is about 5 or 6 inches thick and doesnt feel like it has any springs or structural support inside of it.

post-7244-1259471923.jpg

post-7244-1259471936.jpg

here is a quick picture I took of it. I'm not sure if it is enough to get a correct ID. The mattress is about 5 or 6 inches thick and doesnt feel like it has any springs or structural support inside of it.

Construction looks correct for the period with a hand sewed 'edge roll'. :thumbsup: You should be able to see long stitches of heavy thread that holds the roll in placce. It should be a 'solid' cotton batting type filer without springs. The outer covering, called a 'ticking' is not of any style I've seen before. Usually a lighter blue color and only about a 1/4" stripe. That doesn't mean its not correct.

I have a 1942 wooden bunk bed made for the army, with the US carved into the headboard and footboard. Came out of an old upstate NY boy scout camp. I didn't have the room to bring the mattresses home. Interesting thing it has an ink stamp on the inside of the rails. Made by Gimbels NY NY 1942.

Nice find.

Steve T

Is there a label on your mattress?

Never looked, it's a summer camp so it's kind of dirty and I didn't really want to, but I don't think there is a label