Sign in to follow this  
hawkdriver

Thompson buttstock cleaning kit

No cleaning kit goes in the butt stock, only an oiler. You should have three felt washers in a 1928 stock, these go around the neck of the crinkle finish type. One washer for the M1 series type oiler. The neck type oiler is for the 1928, the one for a M1 series looks like a large M1 carbine oiler.

There is a nickle finish necked oiler also, these are for the Colt manufactured Thompsons. These are a bit expensive and often faked.

M1 Carbine oiler is one the right for comparison.

post-2964-1258768488.jpg

donation2008.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gif

Looking for original photos and other items from the First World War US 77th Infantry Division.

Also interested in BAR and M1917A1 BMG related items.

That is my general luck, I seem to have a 1928 oiler for my M1. Would it be incorrect to have the 1928 oiler in a M1 stock? I assume that the 1928 oilers were changed to the M1's as a cost saving measure?

The 1928 oiler is shown as an alternate in the organizational equipment charts after the M2 oiler was introduced. The cavities in the stocks are the same size.

The M2 oiler is a much simplier design than the first. That and cost figure into the change.

donation2008.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gif

Looking for original photos and other items from the First World War US 77th Infantry Division.

Also interested in BAR and M1917A1 BMG related items.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.