81st Tactical Fighter Wing (USAFE)

Teamski

Sabrejet's USAF unit topics are a pretty neat idea, so I hope he is OK with me doing another one for the 81st TFW. ;)

The 81st TFW was a huge unit with fighter squadrons at both RAF Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge and detachments in Germany. The unit was deactivated in 1993 and later became the 81st Training Wing at Keesler AFB.

post-3043-1258766652.jpg

And finally, some of the units that made it all happen. There is never any love for the maintenance and support units that allowed the zipper-suited sun-gods to do their job. :thumbsup:

-Ski

post-3043-1258766916.jpg

Hi Ski...Thanks for the endorsement! Nice selection of patches. I too have a number of simillar ones...as these were British-based squadrons, and being a Brit myself, these USAF patches do turn up at British airshows etc.

Ian :thumbsup:

Here is the DET 1 Sembach patch as well as the GAU-8a patch. My team held the unoffical record for loading an A-10 with 1150 rounds of 30mm in 8 minutes.

Congratulations!! :thumbsup:

Ian

Hi Ski. The following images might just feed your nostalgia for the time you spent among us here in the UK? It's a pair of 70s USAF "Cold War" flying jackets to the 20th TFW who were based at Upper Heyford at that time. They provide a good opportunity to see both Wing/Squadron/Command patches in situ. The M-A1 is the heavy type with a wool inter-lining. The L-2B is, as its designation suggests, lightweight!

post-8022-1258808166.jpg post-8022-1258808178.jpg

Although I'm not collecting USAF patches, I'm fascinated by the insignia that are posted here day by day. If somebody wants to know the meaning of the upper tab of the light blue patch Ski displayed with the first pic, here it is:

3. Stffl JaBoG 31 means: 3. Staffel, Jagdbombergeschwader 31 (3rd Squadron, 31st Fighter Wing), it's the eldest Bundeswehr Luftwaffe Wing, called "BOELKE". The sword is from the Boelke insignia.

Maybe a patch of a joint exercise? You'll know...

Lars

JaboG_3.jpg

General Apathy
The 81st TFW was a huge unit with fighter squadrons at both RAF Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge and detachments in Germany. The unit was deactivated in 1993 and later became the 81st Training Wing at Keesler AFB.

The A-10 Thunderbolt a plane that really captures my imagination. Whoa :w00t:

Cheers Lewis

Hi Ski. The following images might just feed your nostalgia for the time you spent among us here in the UK? It's a pair of 70s USAF "Cold War" flying jackets to the 20th TFW who were based at Upper Heyford at that time. They provide a good opportunity to see both Wing/Squadron/Command patches in situ. The M-A1 is the heavy type with a wool inter-lining. The L-2B is, as its designation suggests, lightweight!

post-8022-1258808166.jpg post-8022-1258808178.jpg

That is, without a doubt, two of the coolest looking jackets I've seen on here in a long time! Are those part of your collection?

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Syd

That is, without a doubt, two of the coolest looking jackets I've seen on here in a long time! Are those part of your collection?

Syd

Hi Syd...thanks! Yes they are. I'm a Brit and these jackets are from USAF units who were based in the UK and which somehow found their way into the British collectors' market. They've been in my possession since the early 90s. Presumably they were sold/left behind when their original owners rotated Stateside?

Ian :thumbsup:

Oh I'm well aware of where they are from, I've researched the 20th Ftr Grp for the past 12 years and also collect items relating to the successor units that carried on the lineage, the 20th FBG, FTW, FW, etc. The 79th FS "Tigers" are my sentimental fave USAF unit of all, I never get tired of seeing items relating to them!

Syd

Great patches and jackets. I spent a lot of time flying out of RAF Mildenhall and RAF Fairford, the two UK bases that hosted KC-135 tanker units on rotation. I have many happy memories of England -- I'd love go back there some time (plus my wife and I honeymooned in England -- a great time).

Pete

• 3 years later...

Early versions of the 92nd TFS A-10 patch -- full color and subdued

92ndSubdued.jpg92ndUSAFE.jpg

Subdued version of the 510th patch plus a rare full color blooper. Anyone spot the issue with it?

510thSubdued.jpg510thMistake.jpg

When I was there RAF Woodbridge 72-74..They had F-4s :lol: Seems forever ago....Seems if I recall correctly the 79th TFS was at our base when they were working on the runway at Upper Heyford.