The Beast

usmcski

Greetings All,

I didn't see a topic here about The Beast (aka The Beast of War), but I think it's a very underappreciated and well done film about a T-62 tank that is lost in A-stan. It first came out in 1988, and although it didn't break any records at the box office, it's subsequent DVD release has developed a cult following. Wikipedia and IMDb both have reviews if anyone is interested in further reading....

Cheers,

Ski

Manchu Warrior
Greetings All,

I didn't see a topic here about The Beast (aka The Beast of War), but I think it's a very underappreciated and well done film about a T-62 tank that is lost in A-stan. It first came out in 1988, and although it didn't break any records at the box office, it's subsequent DVD release has developed a cult following. Wikipedia and IMDb both have reviews if anyone is interested in further reading....

Cheers,

Ski

I have it and it is indeed a good movie. :thumbsup:

I have seen this movie for rental in the past, but hadn't really heard anything about it until this post.

Looks like I'll have to pick up a copy, next time I at the videostore.

Thanks.

Duffy

One of the most underated war films ever. In terms of showing the realism of tanks in battle none can compare to The Beast.

I even have a prop from the movie.

post-4928-1258768530.jpg

It's one of the tank commander shirts. The tags are in hebrew since the shirt and the movie were made in Israel.

The tanks in the movie are Israeli captured t55s that were modified to Ti-67s

and then back to the semi-Soviet look for the movie.

If you liked The Beast then you might want to try to find a copy of 9 Rota about Russian Paras during their war in Afghanistan. The movie however is not 100% correct but they use real Hinds & weapons and has lots of action. This is to date the largest grossing movie in Russia. Getting a Dvd copy with English subtitles is tricky though, you have to try Ebay or a google search. post-2427-1258772158.jpg

The cast included George Dzundza (Ukrainian by birth) who otherwise appeared as Chief of the Boat in "Red Tide" with Denzel Washington and Gene hackman, and was one of the detectives in one of the Law & Order TV series for a few years. Also Jason Patric (grandson of Jackie Gleason!) and another later-name star unrecalled.

It was not wholly accurate -- like showing the tank interior as big as a small hotel room or a Chevy van, with move-around space for a fifth (Afghan) passenger AND a backpack flamethrower. The tank was not a T-62 (115mm gun), but an Israeli-modified T-55.