102nd Aero Squadron Sterling Pin on eBay

flyingfortress

flyingfortress

There's a 102nd Aero Squadron sterling pin currently on eBay item #190350952730 with a $925 buy-it-now price. If I'm not mistaken I believe this same pin was sold by Bonham's auction this past spring or summer. It's a great looking pin.

George

George - not sure if it is the same but I do know that this seller did have listing right after the auction mentioned... IIRC he was seller the one bought at the auction. I do not have access to my files or I would prived the sales price.

If I am correct this is a 1920's badge.

John

It is a legitimate 1920's era badge made for the New York National Guard, and a nice one too; however, it is not the exact same badge from the Duncan Campbell collection that was sold by Bonham's back in June of this year.

The seller is also trying to sell a 1913 Military Aviator badge "COPY" for a Buy It Now price of only $1,200.00!! What is so interesting about that "COPY" is that he claims it was made by a . . . government contractor who used to work for the USAF Museum in Dayton.

Any idea who the maker of that "COPY" might be that the seller was referring to? :lol:

Food for thought: It is somewhat bazaar that the seller of the "COPY" also claims you can see a cheaper made version attached to Hap Arnolds tunic which is on display at the USAF Museum.

Didn't one of our members claim several months ago that he had held Hap Arnolds original MA badge at the USAF Museum?

Question: Well, if not on his tunic, were is General Arnold's original badge?

:think: :think:

post-4542-1258761394.jpg

flyingfortress

Thank you guys for your comments.

I took a closer look at the pin and now believe it may be cast and not die struck. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me but I think I see bubble bursts at the top of the pin on the back, or maybe they're just dings. After close examination, the front doesn't seem to have sharp details for a Dieges & Clust pin, but maybe polishing and wear hasn't taken its toll over the years. I was thinking about buying it if the price was negotiable, but now I have doubts about it. Any further comments about the pin would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, George

:think:

George,

It is a perfectly good die struck example for a 1920's NYNG squadron pin but it does seem to be a bit over priced.

:crying:

Cliff

post-4542-1258765716.jpg

flyingfortress

I accessed Bonham's auction from June 2nd, there were two early squadron pins, a 102nd and 478th included in lot 3665, which sold for $1,638 including the buyer's premium. The only difference I see on the 102nd in Bonham's auction from the one on eBay is the alignment of the pin back. The Bonham pin's drop-in catch is fastened to the serpent's tail, whereas, the eBay pin's drop-in catch is fastened to bottom wing. Don't know if it's significant or not. Thought you'd like to know.

Regards George

:wink2:

Yes, I looked at those pictures too. In addition, not that it really matters, here is a picture showing the alignment of the pin on the back of the badge that I own.

:unsure:

post-4542-1258813503.jpg

flyingfortress
:wink2:

Yes, I looked at those pictures too. In addition, not that it really matters, here is a picture showing the alignment of the pin on the back of the badge that I own.

:unsure:

Cliff,

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards, George

The 102 squadron pin is real and I do not believe overpriced. A few of them sold a few years ago in $1200. range. I saw one at SOS for $1700.00.

:think: Hummmm, guess the seller should have talked to you first. He knocked the price down and took $795 for it. :blush:

flyingfortress
:think: Hummmm, guess the seller should have talked to you first. He knocked the price down and took $795 for it. :blush:

Cliff,

He knocked the price down for me so I bought it. Thanks again for your commentary about the pin.

Regards, George

There's a 102nd Aero Squadron sterling pin currently on eBay item #190350952730 with a $925 buy-it-now price. If I'm not mistaken I believe this same pin was sold by Bonham's auction this past spring or summer. It's a great looking pin.

George

Yes, I believe that this individual (AKA Aerowalla) had bought a couple of other items from the Campbell collection and almost immediately had them listed on Ebay giving him a slight profit margin. Some of the items still do not seem to have sold, thus the 102nd pin being on Ebay again.

Patrick