"Big Red One" grouping

siege1863

Some of you may remember my posts regarding a man who served in the 1st Infantry Division post-war. He was a member of the 26th Infantry Regiment (the "Blue Spaders") and assigned to Nurenberg where his battalion guarded SS POWs at Stalag Xlll-D. I first acquired all the letters between he and his wife. They came in a box, two scrap books, and a folder. There are more than 600 letters and the collection weighed 23 lbs!

Not long after I got the letters, the niece of the veteran sent me a few photos of him and the wife. They included their wedding photo and some of the man in uniform. The best, a portrait done about October 1945, was posted to this forum. For those who did not see it of have forgotten it, I have posted it again below.

Today, I received from the niece two more packages. One with papers from the wife's homefront service and early flying days, the other with items from the veteran's days in the Army. For your viewing pleasure, we have an original 1st ID patch removed from his uniform, his CIB, his qualification badge/bars, dog tags, 26th IR cap insignia, sgt. stripes, and plastic cigarette case. The man earlier served in the 79th Infantry Division and saved one of his patches. It is French(?) made. Also shown below is a small crossed rifles pin (7/8"). I want to think it is a sweetheart piece, but I have seen the same safety pin device on regulation insignaia. Any thoughts?

post-211-1180830721.jpg

post-211-1180830800.jpg

Forgot to mention the niece also sent his Army of Occupation medal in the original box. It is dated 6/23/1947. Here is the back of the cigarette case and the other items.

post-211-1180831324.jpg

post-211-1180831211.jpgpost-211-1180831244.jpg

post-211-1180831270.jpgpost-211-1180831303.jpg

776thamtrac

I remember your other items as well Seige and man this just tops it all off! Beautiful grouping you scored here! It looks like the DI's on his blouse may have been embroidered?? Or am I just imagining things? He's certainly the poster boy for the Army of WWII...

CJW

776thamtrac---

The 26th DI I have is a screwback. I suspect all three were. The collar insignia may look like they are embroidered because of the color tinting done to the original b&w photo.

Here is the back of the 26th DI and the boxed Occupation medal...

post-211-1180877477.jpg

post-211-1180877531.jpg

From Mr. Samuelson's letter dated 17 September 1945. This is typical of the content of each.

post-211-1180879153.jpg

• 14 years later...