Rare 37mm cartridge..

kphfun

I picked this guy up awhile ago and I think it has to be the last use of the 37mm in the U.S. arsenal, a very hard one to come bye. Here is a bit of info on it and the mount it was to serve on.Very little information exists of the T249 Vigilante and its T250 cannon. The conceptual design for the T250 cannon was initiated in 1956. While the design of cannon of this caliber would ordinarily be handled by Watervliet Arsenal, it was decided that Springfield Armory take responsibility due to their previous development experience with smaller caliber rotary cannon such the 20mm T171. The T250 was the largest Gatling gun ever assembled. Its 37x219mmSR round was based upon a shortened and necked-down 40x311mmR Bofors cartridge case. Hydraulically powered, the gun was able to vary between 120 rpm for ground targets and 3,000 rpm for air targets.[1] It had a 192-round drum magazine, which in the 3,000 rpm mode would have equated to approximately 5 seconds of fire. When Springfield engineers finished their work in 1962, the design was handed over to Watervliet for production. The Sperry Utah Engineering Laboratory was selected to handle the integration of the T250 gun with the modified M113 chassis to create the T249.

post-3273-1258698091.jpg

I think there are only two weapons platform's that still exist today.. Sure wish there was something on youtube showing it in action, it must have been nasty in the ground role! :o

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.