OD Boonie, non-ripstop, original or repro?

usmc grunt

I picked up an OD Boonie that appears to have some age to it from a Vietnam vet estate. Since there are no labels on the interior, I cannot determine if it is US Government Issue, a foreign made copy or an older repro. I have an original 1969 USGI rip-stop poplin boonie in my size (6-7/8) that I can use to compare it with and, while they are similar in construction, there are a few differences. The hat's interior is approximately 24" and appears to be a size extra large (7-1/2 to 7-5/8). This hat was manufactured with a chinstrap that has been cut off. Since it doesn't fit my brain housing group, I thought I would list it on ebay but, before I did, I would like to have an opinion as to whether this is an original USGI, a foreign copy or an older repro. Here are a few details:

1. The material on this hat is not rip-stop poplin. Material appears to be poplin but does not have the nylon thread inherent in rip-stop material.

2. The band that is stitched to the boonie's exterior is made of the same material as the hat while the band on my 1969 boonie is nylon.

3. The brim is 2" wide while the brim on the my 1969 boonie is 2-1/2" wide.

4. The front and rear crown measurements are exactly the same 2" on one side - 1-1/4" on the other.

5. Both boonies are seamless on the top side of the brim but, while the 69 boonie is also seamless on the underside of the brim, the boonie in question is seamed at 4 points on the underside - the underside material consists of 4 quarters.

Photos of top and side views are attached. I am not familiar with style of non-poplin boonie. What say you?

post-2910-1258686042.jpg

post-2910-1258686049.jpg

The only difference between the regular poplin boonies from 1967 and 1968 and the later ripstop ones is just the material they were made from (poplin or ripstop). Your boonie doesnt look US military made but I dont know where its from.

craig_pickrall

Just after Vietnam the boonie hats were hard to find on the surplus market. Because of this there were many makers both foreign and domestic that were cranking out copies for the surplus trade. I think this is one of them.