Apoc now

kammo-man

Apoc Now=Fun movie.

Now for a horrible movie let's talk PLATOON!

Of the Nam movies, Hamburger Hill is still my favorite. However, I want to see "Go Tell The Spartans" and "The Boys of Company C" again to see how they hold up. I saw them when they were first released, but haven't seen them since.

Yup

Spartains is also fun .

If we go into a deeper guns and bombs level but cross into the human mind , what it can and cannot do , power and how it affects one , the heartof darkness that becomes Kurts mind transends war itself and opens up a whole pandoras box that some people find disturbing .

That is the core to A,N .

And of course the Horror , the Horror .

owen

Manchu Warrior
Apoc Now=Fun movie.

Now for a horrible movie let's talk PLATOON!

Of the Nam movies, Hamburger Hill is still my favorite. However, I want to see "Go Tell The Spartans" and "The Boys of Company C" again to see how they hold up. I saw them when they were first released, but haven't seen them since.

I was at a friends house the other night watching Generation Kill and we got to talking about our favorite War movies. He asked me what my favorite movie by era as in Civil War, Vietnam etc. I told him Full Metal Jacket was my favorite Vietnam movie. I also told him that I really liked The Boys From Company C but I had not seen it is more then twenty five years. He said he had it on VHS and I asked if I could borrow it and I sat out in my driveway and watched the movie on the VCR in my van. And to be honest it is still a great movie and the movie is kind of grainy and it gives it an even more realistic feel to it.

Corpsmancollector
Yup

Spartains is also fun .

If we go into a deeper guns and bombs level but cross into the human mind , what it can and cannot do , power and how it affects one , the heartof darkness that becomes Kurts mind transends war itself and opens up a whole pandoras box that some people find disturbing .

That is the core to A,N .

And of course the Horror , the Horror .

owen

Owen, that's some juicy language right there! I had to read your post twice to understand it ;) Haha

Conrad's Heart of Darkness is genius. Apoc now is a fun film, but in a strange way I don't always class it as a war movie!

As far as Vietnam goes (I'll probably get shot down for saying this) I do like We Were Soldiers...(and Full Metal)

Will

I was at a friends house the other night watching Generation Kill and we got to talking about our favorite War movies. He asked me what my favorite movie by era as in Civil War, Vietnam etc. I told him Full Metal Jacket was my favorite Vietnam movie. I also told him that I really liked The Boys From Company C but I had not seen it is more then twenty five years. He said he had it on VHS and I asked if I could borrow it and I sat out in my driveway and watched the movie on the VCR in my van. And to be honest it is still a great movie and the movie is kind of grainy and it gives it an even more realistic feel to it.

You have a VCR and TV in your van?! :w00t:

Duffy

We have had our little spats in the past but I am glag we both agree "unless you are gonna take it all the way "

Corps collector .

Everything I ever write must be read twice .

I always have a double meaning ................with words ....its the Irish way ........

Clapton is the devil .

Are you serious ?????????????

owen

Manchu Warrior
You have a VCR and TV in your van?! :w00t:

Yup, I do but it is not as nice as you may think it is an old van and it is the only place I still happen have a VCR.

not to worry .

Im still have one plugged in beside all the other garbage you need these days in your living room .

It goes to show how young CID is .

owen

Love it or hate the movie, the scene where the 1/9 CAV conducts the air assault against a village with Flight of the Valkyries playing in the background is a classic in itself.

I had the pleasure of watching that at the bar of a small officer's club in Germany in the 1980's, some of the patrons being Vietnam vets and all of us at various stages of liquored up. Now that is a memory I will never forget...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...sa%3DN%26um%3D1

apocalypse_now_01.jpg

Manchu Warrior

I may be wrong but I always got the feeling that one would have be taking hallucinogenic drugs to truly understand Apoc Now. :blink:

Intresting .

Do you watch HR PUFFNSTUFF?

Bananna splits ?

Scooby doo?

Willie Wonka ?

Wizard of Oz ?

Oz ?

only joking about OZ .

But you get the picture .

Owen

I may be wrong but I always got the feeling that one would have be taking hallucinogenic drugs to truly understand Apoc Now. :blink:

I agree. Although an entertaining movie :thumbsup: , in terms of accuracy and realism very, very poor. :thumbdown:

Gil

You posted an image that is one of thew high points of the battle scene !!!!

Those bridges did not stand a chance .

Run Charlie Run .

owen

As I recall there was a follow on story to the 1/9 Air Assault sequence.

The aircraft were all on loan from the Philippine Air Force.

I think Francis Ford Coppola had gotten in one or two takes and was ready to do another one when the call came over the radio that the PAF wanted its helicopters back.

It seems that real Phillippine Communist guerillas had been spotted in the hills nearby and the PAF did not want its helicopters taking on real gunfire from real AK-47's.

So they left Coppola and his film crew and flew off.

There is an excellent documentary on all the tears and torment that went into making this movie called Heart of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apolcalypse done by none other than Coppola's wife. It is an excellent study of frustration and perserverance that finally paid off. Just about everybody involved in the film went crazy at one point or another.

One of the worst things about the movie had nothing to do with the movie, but with the guys I served with. How many times did I have to wake up in a barracks and hear someone say "Benning... Sh_t, I'm still at Benning"

On the other hand, they played the air assault scenes to get us pumped up for our air assualt field exercise. :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...
theguiltyone

The movie soundtrack is very cool too, its full of dialogue excerpts, sounds great on headphones up really loud (of course).

Theres 2 versions available on CD, the better is a double disc i think.

Even the jungle wanted him dead.......great stuff!

marc

Kilgore: We'll come in low out of the rising sun... then about a mile out, we'll put on the music!!!

Lance: Music?

Kilgore: Yeah, I use Wagner's, it scares the %&!^ outta the slopes... my boys love it!!!!

Lance: Hey, they're gonna play music!!!

Kilgore: Eagle Thrush Seven, this is Big Duke Six... Put on Psywar Op... Make it loud... This is romeo foxtrot... shall we dance?

Classic lines to begin one of the all time classic scenes in a war movie!!!

The character of LTC Bill Kilgore was loosely based on LTC Stockton. It was Stockton who lent his own understanding (or lack thereof) to the order to NOT take the Division Mascot, Maggie the Mule, to Vietnam. Stockton had already arranged passage with one of the Ship's captains, so he conveniently misunderstood the order. Gen Kinnard was thoroughly P.O.ed!!! It was also this same intrepidity that obtained a lot of the weapons and equipment the Division was armed with. Story has it that the Division wanted the new M102 light weight 105mm howitzer. There were some doubts the Huey, which the division was equipped with, could sling load the weapon. During a meeting with the personnel responsible for making the final decision, an overflight was arranged for a Huey, with the howitzer slung underneath, to fly over the meeting. What was not known at the time by the officer, who gave his approval after seeing the Huey could indeed slingload the weapon, was that the Huey that had sling loaded the weapon was stripped of everything it didn't absolutely need to fly, and a light a fuel load as they could safely get away with for the flight to shave off enough weight to allow the huey to lift the howitzer. That was the kind of Soldiers we had fighting for us back in the day. Officers not afraid to buck convention, nor afraid to make the hard decisions.

If you get a chance to read it, find the book, Pleiku, by J.D. Coleman... about the formation and deployment of the 1st Cav into Vietnam.

Wayne

Ive always thought of 'Poccy Now as a great movie rather than great war movie, LOVE the redux version with the French Plantation being my fave addition.

American Graffiti

What can I say.

I'm in the club too, one watch and you're hooked. Great film. As Coppola said 'This is Vietnam'

God Bless the late Dennis Hopper too...

'Watch out those goddamn monkeys bite'