US Army embroidered jumpwings w/ovals

I'd place these in a similar category to embroidered aviation qualification wings in that they were available but the take up rate would appear to have been relatively low. The same criteria would apply, i.e., if you were an elite paratrooper would you opt to wear nice shiny silver jumpwings with a bronze star/arrowhead or two, or one of these? No contest! That said, I daresay they were really intended for wear on shirts though photographic evidence of their usage appears to be quite scarce.

The white-red-blue oval is that of the 11th Abn HQ and the white-black the 508th PIR.

post-8022-1258356352.jpg post-8022-1258356827.jpg

I'd place these in a similar category to embroidered aviation qualification wings in that they were available but the take up rate would appear to have been relatively low. The same criteria would apply, i.e., if you were an elite paratrooper would you opt to wear nice shiny silver jumpwings with a bronze star/arrowhead or two, or one of these? No contest! That said, I daresay they were really intended for wear on shirts though photographic evidence of their usage appears to be quite scarce.

The white-red-blue oval is that of the 11th Abn HQ and the white-black the 508th PIR.

post-8022-1258356352.jpg post-8022-1258356827.jpg

In the 50's all members of the 11th Abn Div wore the embroidered jump wings of this type on their Fatigue Uniforms, so it may have been rare in other units but not so with the 11th. They were not allowed to wear this type oval on the Class A Uniform.

I have an Airborne Command Ike Jacket with a sewn on embroidered wing oval. The jacket came with the sterling pin back wings pinned on over the embroidered wing.

I have an Airborne Command Ike Jacket with a sewn on embroidered wing oval. The jacket came with the sterling pin back wings pinned on over the embroidered wing.

I should have posted my reply with a little more detail. It was SOP with the 511th AIR of the 11th Abn Div that the embroidered oval would not be worn on the Class A Uniform.

craig_pickrall

You also see these with and without the embroidered wing but incased in plastic for wear on fatigues. They were also worn on the stiff Ridgeway caps.

There were also the tin versions painted in unit colors.