USMC P1941 P1944 HBT Utility Trousers

craig_pickrall

Here my contribution to this tread,a nice picture of those P44 trousers used in Korea(dated 3 sep 1950) in Yongsan.

Look the last soldier at the left wing walking tor the truck.This picture is from "Tank warfare" in Korea.

Karl

post-1820-1214870317.jpg

Squad leader
There were P44 trousers made without the poncho pocket but I don't recall ever seeing a pair of them.

Hi Craig,

Were they made during of after WWII?

Thanks, Dan.

craig_pickrall

I am not sure now what my reference was when I wrote that. I thought it was the Museum Catalog: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...=10434&st=0 but now when I read that (Post 18) it says the rear pocket was removed. I assume that means the standard P44 trousers had the rear pocket removed rather than having been made with no rear pocket. Another possibility was that I read it in Grunt Gear. I do not have the time at the moment to do that research however.

Bob Hudson
There were P44 trousers made without the poncho pocket but I don't recall ever seeing a pair of them.

I sold this pair last year from Korean vet Peepsight Pendas - it looks like you can see some marks from the stitching for the pocket:

pendaspants0915abackcu.jpg

Squad leader

I sold this pair last year from Korean vet Peepsight Pendas - it looks like you can see some marks from the stitching for the pocket:

Hello,

How much did you sell it?

Thanks, Dan.

Bob Hudson
How much did you sell it?

Thanks, Dan.

I lost all of my records in a hard drive crash, but it seems like they were about $150.

Squad leader
I, nor anyone else I know of, has ever seen a photo if the 44 pattern utilities being worn in the field in ww2. What and where are these photos?

CB

Hi,

This is a picture of Al Perry wearing a P1944 HBT uniform. He was a BAR gunner in A Co, 24th marine rgt, 4th Marine div. This picture was taken aboard ship on the way to Iwo Jima.

Hope it helps, Dan.

post-1681-1216213922.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Whether the 1st pattern trousers where wartime production or post-war was questioned in this thread, and I have part of the answer : some were post-war production by Anchor Overall Co. as visible on this contractor stamp ...

post-17306-1302332439.jpg

• 2 months later...
Schnicklfritz

I wanted to post an observation about the USMC HBT trousers with the 2 piece waistband. After looking at many pair of wartime dated khaki trousers, I noticed that the two piece waist band on the trousers doesn't show up on the khaki trousers until post war or very late in the war( I seem to recall seeing one pair with '45 dates, but have not seen anything earlier that that). Previous to that, the khaki trousers did not have a separate piece on the outer part of the waistband. I would sumize that this is true for the HBT trousers and that the two piece waist band did not show up until very late WW2 if at all, but more than likely post WW2. I have yet to see a pair of these trousers with dates in the WW2 era. Notice even the "44" pattern USMC HBT trousers don't have a 2 piece waistband. This tailoring practice of a 1 piece waistband holds true to all pieces of pre WW2 USMC trousers that I have observed. The later trousers used by the USMC in the 50's and 60's are patterned with 2 piece waistbands. I would therefore sumize that the practice of tailors making trouser patterns with 2 piece waistbands started post war and it is not just wartime contract variation. Just my opinion... hope it makes sense as I'm a little worn out right now...

Corpsmancollector
I wanted to post an observation about the USMC HBT trousers with the 2 piece waistband. After looking at many pair of wartime dated khaki trousers, I noticed that the two piece waist band on the trousers doesn't show up on the khaki trousers until post war or very late in the war( I seem to recall seeing one pair with '45 dates, but have not seen anything earlier that that). Previous to that, the khaki trousers did not have a separate piece on the outer part of the waistband. I would sumize that this is true for the HBT trousers and that the two piece waist band did not show up until very late WW2 if at all, but more than likely post WW2. I have yet to see a pair of these trousers with dates in the WW2 era. Notice even the "44" pattern USMC HBT trousers don't have a 2 piece waistband. This tailoring practice of a 1 piece waistband holds true to all pieces of pre WW2 USMC trousers that I have observed. The later trousers used by the USMC in the 50's and 60's are patterned with 2 piece waistbands. I would therefore sumize that the practice of tailors making trouser patterns with 2 piece waistbands started post war and it is not just wartime contract variation. Just my opinion... hope it makes sense as I'm a little worn out right now...

Marc,

Thank you for posting your observations which are a thoroughly researched and informative. I would agree with everything you've said. I recently picked up a set of Marine khakis which included a WWII era shirt with late war sergeants chevrons, early-mid war khaki sidecap with EGA and khaki pants with 2 piece waist band. All pieces are named to the same Marine in the same format. I would agree that the 2 piece waistband came in on the khakis very late war/post war.

Will

• 6 years later...