Navy Radar Operator wings

Bob Hudson

A friend who deals mostly in glassware and other collectibles of that ilk, found this at an antique store recently, paid $2 for it and then was rather shocked when they sold on Ebay for $264 last week.

When she showed them to be I had to admit I'd never seen Radar Operator wings before and had no idea when they were used. Based on the selling price I assume they are not common. I found it interesting how it had types holding the Radar Operator insignia to the wings.

Here's here Ebay description and some photosd:

The wings are sterling silver with 1/20 10K Gold. I believe they are Navy. They measure about 3" long, have the "H.H." inside of the star hallmark. The clutch backs are also sterling and patented with numbers 2308412 and 2308424.

radarwings3.jpg

radarwings.jpg

radarwings2.jpg

Nice bit of profit! IIRC the wings were only authorized for 2 years... Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

John

I think you are right John. Those puppies weren't around very long and are very rare. I've been looking for one for many years (not that I could afford it!).

THe Wosk sisters out of San Diego used to have a ton of these from the old stock of their father's uniform store. Still, they are rather rare.

Patrick

THe Wosk sisters out of San Diego used to have a ton of these from the old stock of their father's uniform store. Still, they are rather rare.

Patrick

Well the one shown above is from San Diego County, so it may have been from that stock.

Patrick

I bought mine from them, they came in thier original box.

Jason

Well the one shown above is from San Diego County, so it may have been from that stock.

Actually I think the wings you posted saw some use vs the minty sets from the Wosk sisters. (IMHO)

John

• 8 years later...