Kabars - Pal verses Robeson

Raidercollector

Raidercollector

post-421-1180731155.jpgHi Guys. Can anybody shed some light on these.I have been pondering on this awhile. I have 2 KaBars here, Both are pretty rare ,And in real nice shape. One is a Pal with a pal marked leather scabbard and the other is a Roberson blued blade, regular leather scabbard. Both have red spacers. I feel the roberson is rarer.

Regards Nick

Raidercollector
post-421-1180731155.jpgHi Guys. Can anybody shed some light on these.I have been pondering on this awhile. I have 2 KaBars here, Both are pretty rare ,And in real nice shape. One is a Pal with a pal marked leather scabbard and the other is a Roberson blued blade, regular leather scabbard. Both have red spacers. I feel the roberson is rarer.

Regards Nick

post-421-1180731311.jpg

Charlie Flick

Nick:

Both are nice blades and great pieces to have in any collection. Of the two, the Robeson (not Roberson) is by far the more scarce and, thus, the more valuable. The quality of the bluing on the Robeson Mark 2 Marine Corps blades rivaled any seen on any other USGI knives. Most saw very hard use and few survived in nice shape. Your's is especially interesting since it has the proper sheath with the dark stitching which was unique to the Robesons.

HTH.

Charlie Flick

Greg Robinson

Back in the early days of ebay I picked up an early PAL USMC in marked scabbard and it's a prized possession. Your is nicer, especially the scabbard. But in any condition they're a nice find since you don't see many of them.

Raidercollector

Gregg or Charlie

Have you seen the robeson thats on ebay now. Chould that one be that mint or is it reblued??????? If its the real deal it will go high!!!!

Nick

bayonetman

I would like to see better and in focus photos. The color seems off in some of them, although I will have to say from experience that it is quite difficult to take photos of a fairly glossy blue blade and get the color consistently right.

I don't particularly like the pommel - I think it should be smooth without all the little holes.

Not sure about the scabbard - didn't Robeson use the dark thread in their USMC scabbards like they did in the early USN versions?

But I bet it will still go very high as there are a lot of not too knowledgeable people out there with more money than most of us have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-USMC-BLUED-ROBESON...1QQcmdZViewItem

Greg Robinson
I would like to see better and in focus photos. The color seems off in some of them, although I will have to say from experience that it is quite difficult to take photos of a fairly glossy blue blade and get the color consistently right.

I don't particularly like the pommel - I think it should be smooth without all the little holes.

Not sure about the scabbard - didn't Robeson use the dark thread in their USMC scabbards like they did in the early USN versions?

But I bet it will still go very high as there are a lot of not too knowledgeable people out there with more money than most of us have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-USMC-BLUED-ROBESON...1QQcmdZViewItem

In my opinion, the blade is refinished. And the scabbard is definitely not the original. So hardly worth the money it will no doubt go for.

Raidercollector

Greg I think you are right. Sabbard is wrong.The pommel looks the same as mine as for detail. Finsh is questionable. I have added 2 more pictures of mine with close ups of the pommel and scabbard. But I,m no expert,Just going buy the one I have right from the vet .

Nick

post-421-1181003490.jpg