Death Valey

jumpwings

Some background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_San_Pietro_Infine

Was in Cassino today, took the train from Mignano Monte Lungo...

Took some photos of Cessima, Mnte La Defensa, and Sammucro from Mignano Monte Lungo train station, and looking at these peaks from this position I find them absolutely awe inspiring as well as truly humbling, those poor chaps who must have looked at them and thought "my god, we're going up there"...The photos REALLY don't do the overwhelming feeling of power these peaks inspire from below...I have to say this, but Normandy must have been a walk in the park to the guys who had been here....

First off, La Defensa:

dayoutnov14-11.jpg

Turning to the right, Sammucro in the distance:

dayoutnov14-10.jpg

Again, turning right, Cessima:

dayoutnov14-3.jpg

Last off, the Abbey from the town of Cassino, every now and again this view peeks out of the city streets... Every time I looked up a this site, I kept thinking of the film (John Huston's ??) with it getting blown into pieces, truly humbling standing at the bottom of this magnificient structure:

dayoutnov14-12.jpg

i read the book monte cassino writen by Sven Hazzel

and it was real good.

here is a link to it:www.svenhassel.net/

its about the german forces but i think it shows the horror of the war from bouth sides..

ken

btw if any feel this is no good,please remove.

i read the book monte cassino writen by Sven Hazzel

and it was real good.

here is a link to it:www.svenhassel.net/

its about the german forces but i think it shows the horror of the war from bouth sides..

ken

btw if any feel this is no good,please remove.

One of the Falschimjager groups in the UK has a veteran (Gerhard Kaepner - Hope I have spelled his name right) who used to kit up with them at shows, he told me his story, was wounded at Cassino, taken to Normandy to take it easy, then got captured later, and ended married to a UK lass...Bit sketchy I know, my papers are still in boxes and will post up when and if I can find his letter...I know he hasn't been well these past couple of years, but though he don't do shows, is alive and well (I think)...A nicer man ye couldn't meet...

btw sven Hassel....sorry, but allow me a giggle...My apologies :thumbsup: