First Army patch variants....when?

Sabrejet

Manchu Warrior
Real nice patch but not WW1 but rather 1940's and still a killer patch. Mort

Are you talking about mine? And I would like to know what it is. Because I see someone posted one and says it is Army Air Corps and I was told at one it has to do with chemicals, which is it?

Are you talking about mine? And I would like to know what it is. Because I see someone posted one and says it is Army Air Corps and I was told at one it has to do with chemicals, which is it?

blue and yellow is chemical

Garth Thompson

Yours is a very nice late '30's - early '40s version. The colors are for chemical warfare (yellow over blue). The air corps colors are orange over aquamarine (a different shade of blue).

Garth

The practice of color inserts in 1st Army patches actually goes back to WW1. There are almost an infinite amount of variation in thw WW1 versions. Standardized branch color panels in the top of the "A" came into official use in the late 1920's and lasted until 1942. You will find both wool and standard embroidered versions. The ones in your post would be WW2 vintage.

Here is a bullion version done occupation period.

Garth

Believe that the ASMIC Trading Post had an article about 1st Army branch inserts and that there was also a color back cover. If you want to go nuts try to get a complete set of inserts in the three versions of the WW2 type patch ie. wool, lg emb and sm emb.When Garth was referring to the WW1 versions you will find them more varied. They will have inserts in the upper panel also in the lower panel and combinations of both. Believe that generally speaking the WW1 inserts are more usually found in the lower panel between the legs. One of the forum members Patchjohnson did a great article on these unusual patches. Mort

I guess my reply crossed with yours but to answer your question which Garth answered ;yours is Chemical. The blue in Chemical can be very dark almost black in some examples. The Air Corp is a lighter blue with a definite orange border. It is very easy to mix these up if not side by side. Regardless it is a nice patch. Mort

Garth Thompson
Hi, You guys have probably seen mine befor but here is the only type I have

post-1973-1258331683.jpg

Now that one is different. I haven't seen that variation before.

Garth

tbirdismypride
Now that one is different. I haven't seen that variation before.

Garth

I saw one other on ebay a few months ago and contacted the guy about it and I was told that nobody has ever been able to find out weather it was just a variant or if this particular patch actually ment something. Below is a link to my original posting just if you are interested.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=43869&hl=

I saw one other on ebay a few months ago and contacted the guy about it and I was told that nobody has ever been able to find out weather it was just a variant or if this particular patch actually ment something. Below is a link to my original posting just if you are interested.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=43869&hl=

If memory serves me these first showed up at the ASMIC convention in Washington DC probably 10 to15 years ago. One of our forum members had afew to sell or trade. All I can tell you is these are very rare. Mort

In an earlier post, it was mentioned that the DEML is rarer than some other versions, is that the general opinion?

I ask because I picked one up in a patch box at the Ft Worth show and paid about $3 for it. Did I do OK?

post-2527-1258417708.jpg

In an earlier post, it was mentioned that the DEML is rarer than some other versions, is that the general opinion?

I ask because I picked one up in a patch box at the Ft Worth show and paid about $3 for it. Did I do OK?

post-2527-1258417708.jpg

The main thing with the Demolition insert is that it has been mis-id. Do not believe it is considered that more desireable. Most would feel that Aviation,Finance and Armor are most coveted of the generally accepted inserts. I mention this because there are some odd-ball inserts that have not been cataloged such as Tank Destroyer,Chaplain,Gen Staff and West Point to mention some possibilities. Mort

This is my version that I believe is WWI but I am not positive. What can you tell me about the patch?

post-1412-1258322169.jpg

This chemical warfare service variant, like all the other woolies with inserts in the top of the "A", were made around 1940-41.

Bob Capistrano

Aviation and chemical warfare service variants are similar; the blue in the Air Corps patch is brighter than that of the CWS (ultramarine vs cobalt blue), and the yellow in the Air Corps variant is more golden orange vice yellow. I actually haven't seen the Air Corps patch fully embroidered (they exist, but ....)

Bob Capistrano

post-2527-1258417708.jpg

Desertrat... The patch you show is a regular 1st Army patch... all OD. Here is pic of 1st Army DEML (Detached Enlisted Mens List) with GREEN panel.

post-5999-1258484477.jpg