M-203 Vest VN era? & 2 BDU Tops

otter42

I have a couple of Navy BDU tops and they are missing the patch above the "Navy". That's gotta be the one they are missing because it's the same size. Did yours have any type of pocket patch under the "Navy"?

Yes, it has plastic snaps. I stopped by the sale where I bought that one yesterday and found another one with the tag inside and is 1973 dated, but it has metal snaps. So the plastic ones make it earlier?

otter42

As MattD has mentioned, if it has plastic snaps...then it is from the Vietnam era.

You have an M1967 grenade vest.....you picked up a nice find, despite it having no label.

As to your question about whether or not the ones with plastic snaps are early....yes, they are.

Hope this is of help.

Duffy

I went back to the sale and found a 1973 and 1974 dated ones, both with metal snaps, but the first one I bought without a label looks older, and had plastic buttons.

thanks for all your help. Ken

Mercenary25

Yes, there are ones with metal snaps, these are of later manufacture.

Most of the ones on the market are not M1967's with plastic snaps...they are the ones

with metal snaps, as in this case with the 1973 and 1974 dates of manufacture.

This is similar in comparison to the OG Nylon compass / dressing pouch.......if you have two in your hand, but both

are extremely washed out and no nomenclature is present, you can tell the difference between an

M1967 piece and a later model, by the snap.

Duffy

• 2 weeks later...
Mercenary25

Yes, there are ones with metal snaps, these are of later manufacture.

Most of the ones on the market are not M1967's with plastic snaps...they are the ones

with metal snaps, as in this case with the 1973 and 1974 dates of manufacture.

This is similar in comparison to the OG Nylon compass / dressing pouch.......if you have two in your hand, but both

are extremely washed out and no nomenclature is present, you can tell the difference between an

M1967 piece and a later model, by the snap.

Duffy

One other piece of info re the grenade vest is that the early "67" pattern ones only have two snaps on the front closure....hope that helps.