11th Airborne Division '50 helmets

8240th A.U.

I found a Division Artillery yearbook from 55-56 that clarified a few tac marks and brought to light a new tac mark also, it is a large rectangle for the 88th AAA, in the same book it also made clear that the Artillery shell tac mark belongs to Division Artillery...and i also found a pic on ebay of the tac marck of the large D being for the 508th Artillery, Carter has it IDed on his chart but it was nice to get some photographic evidence too!...will post that pic when it arrives...in the meantime, heres a few pics of some of the Artillery tac marks being used in the field!...oh yeah, i also found some info on the 544th AFA (large diamond) during the 1949 time period they were not airborne and went on airborne status in 1953 and in 1954 they had the nickname Starhooks.....just a little 50s era 11th AB trivia for you!!... :lol: ...thanks....mike :thumbsup:

post-350-1318292565.jpg

Hello,

I believe I have a helmet that fits into this thread. I was given this helmet along with a few others back in 1974 by a neighbor who's lawn I use to cut. Being young, I didn't ask any questions about it, just thought it was neat and took them home. After playing with them (my brothers and I), they got put away in storage. After my father passed away last year, we were cleaning out the garage, and low and behold, found the helmets again. I took them home with me and set them in the closet. Recently, I decided to look up the info on them and found this site very helpful in this regard. Here is the helmet I have that I think fits in with this thread. The Shell is a rear seam, swivel bail M1 with a Major's rank insignia on it, and the liner is a westinghouse airborne liner (11th Airborne).

Shell.jpg

Insignia.jpg

Major.jpg

The liner pictures were taken inside, so it appears darker than it is. The liner is dated 1945 or 46 (hard to tell if 5 or 6).

Linerleftside.jpg

Linerrightside.jpg

Insideliner.jpg

Buckles.jpg

I came here looking for info, but I may get hooked after learning so much here. So, did I identify the helmet correctly? I'm always willing to learn more.

Thanks for looking!

Mark

Holy shmokes!...thats a beauty!...post-350-1318891959.gif....11th AB as you have said, I believe the markings to be Division HQ Co.....not positively IDed but appear in the HQ section of a few 50s era 11th AB yearbooks i have....please keep me in mind if you ever want to part with it, very nice helmet!!.....mike :thumbsup:

I sure like that helmet Mark!!.....heres a few period pics of it in use, in all the yearbooks and pictures of 11th AB ive seen, theres only these two!....mike

post-350-1319240763.jpg

And heres a pic i just received of 508th paratroopers loading up for Operation Gyroscope in 1955....the 508th was attached to the 11th Airborne for a short time around that timeframe.....not sure why they have a large D as their tac mark andwhich company used it, there are other pics of them with the D on their helmets mostly manning artillery pieces...some people have speculated D battery etc, im not really sure yet!......mike

post-350-1319241140.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Eric, you are right, might be time for an update on the chart!....heres a few more pics from yearbooks of the HQ tac mark helmets and a few original pics i found on ebay from around 1949 with just the 11/ AB on the front of helmets, a bit different type than the ones often seen......mike

post-350-1322108355.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...