11th Airborne Division '50 helmets

8240th A.U.

Heres some 50s era 82nd AB tac markings......they seemed to use geometric shapes....rectangle, square, triangle, circles, "X"s in white and i have found an "X" M1C in red....mike

post-350-1289704066.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

and heres a gathering of most of my late WWII-50s era tac/unit marked M1Cs.....finally rearranged my shelf for a proper family photo!........mike

post-350-1300589324.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!...im still searching for more and have a few potential leads!....oh and i discovered that the helmet with the white circle was featured in Painted Steel!...it was misidentified (a common occurance with these as people often think they might be 101st) on page 175 as a 463rd Field Artillery Battalion helmet, in reality it is a front seam swivel bail M1C with rigger reinforced straps with the white circle markings of the 11th AB 503rd and under the white you can clearly see a light mint green paint that was also used by the 11th AB in the 50s.....mike :thumbsup:

Thanks Rick, heres my newest addition!...its an 11th Airborne 89th AFA (Airborne Field Artillery) M1C front seam manganese rim with multiple layers of paint and what looks like a few layers of tac markings too!...this one has lots of wear and character just the way i like them!!....and it has a few names that have been painted over on the inside.....thanks....mike

post-350-1301971979.jpg

Yes, they are mostly WWII vintage M1C helmets that were re-issued and repainted, of all the 50s era yearbooks that i have, the T! straps dont really show up in photos until the late 50s early 60s...that doesnt mean they werent being used, just something ive noticed and i dont have all the yearbooks!...just alot of the airborne yearbooks......mike :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was reading through this thread and taking notes, and if you don't mind I've come up with a chart showing the insignia. Please let me know of any mistakes, as there will be plenty - just reading about the 11th AB postwar is confusing enough as units come and go, and change name. I could also use some help organizing it.

11th-Airborne-Markings.jpg

snake36bravo
I was reading through this thread and taking notes, and if you don't mind I've come up with a chart showing the insignia. Please let me know of any mistakes, as there will be plenty - just reading about the 11th AB postwar is confusing enough as units come and go, and change name. I could also use some help organizing it.

11th-Airborne-Markings.jpg

Cant add anything but very nicely presented graphic design. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Heres one of my new additions, an 11th AB MP helmet from the 50s era, the MP and stripes are actually carefully cut out colored reflective tape and has 11th AB decals on the sides, it is just a shell without chinstraps and have added a period rigger para liner for display.....thanks....mike

post-350-1317691858.jpg