11th Airborne Division '50 helmets

8240th A.U.

Hi Mike,

If you don't mind, I'll use your color chart to get started:

N°1: couldn't find in the 1955 yearbooks, ID????

N°2:idem...

N°3:3rd Bn/187th Airborne Infantry, definitely confirmed for th 187th ARCT.

N°4:511th Airborne Infantry

N°5: could be for the 511th Signals

N°6: unidentified arty unit

N°7: ????

N°8:11th QM Parachute Maintenance Co

N°9:188th Airborne Infantry

post-6505-1258464439.jpg

Hi Mike,

N°10: 503rd Airborne Infantry

N°11:127th Abn Engineers

N°12:maybe 11th Medical Co, to be confirmed.

N°13:76th Tank Bn

N°14:maybe 711th Ordnance

N°15: unidentified arty unit (shown in 2 pictures, in one the soldier wearing this marking on his helmet have a 508th ARCT SSI, in the other, the soldiers have the 11th Abn SSI,so...???)

N°16: ????, technical/supply unit, maybe the 408th QM

N°17 and 18 for future discoveries....

These IDs are not definitive, so I am looking for your comments.

Eric

post-6505-1258465354.jpg

This "D" tactical marking seems to be linked with the 508th A.R.C.T. artillery unit (can't remember if it was the 319th or 320th AFAB).

This picture is taken from the 1955 11th Abn Divisional Troops yearbook: notice the "D" and the 2 white circles markings.

post-6505-1258488732.jpg

Here's a good website to check out, it has lots of info and pics of 50s era paras showing a lot of different helmet markings http://home.hiwaay.net/~magro/oldnew1.html you have to dig around but its a great site!...and here's a research chart I made with 50s era airborne helmet markings, some are identified some are a mystery for the moment!....mike

post-350-1258128403.jpg

I could swear I've seen the Top Right stencil used for the Korean War 187RCT during its jump at Munsan-ni

Corpsmancollector

Mike,

You have far too many airborne lids, I think you should send some my way! :lol:

Good reference gents, very under-appreciated lids.

Will

I am in love with every single one of these helmets... I have to start keeping an eye out.

I dug out my 11th Airborne Division "Magazine" when the unit was at Fort Campbell. There is no date anywhere in the publication, however BG Wayne C. Smith is listed as Commanding General. I presume that it was published sometime in the early 1950s. Anyhow, there are several photos of troops from various units in marked helmets. I scanned the photos and reduced the size to fit the requirements of the Forum. The scans are not the best but you can make out the helmet markings.

The first one is listed as 511th Airborne Signal Company.

post-264-1259026501.jpg

I should have stated that the insignia is a solid triangle within a triangle which has each side bisected by a line.

The next one is the 11th Airborne Medical BN. It consists of a rectangle with a smaller square centered above.

post-264-1259026804.jpg

The next one is the 11th Airborne Medical BN. It consists of a rectangle with a smaller square centered above.

The next one is the 675th Airborne Field Artillery BN. It is two pentagons side by side.

post-264-1259026969.jpg

The next one is the 675th Airborne Field Artillery BN. It is two pentagons side by side.

Next is the 544th Field Artillery BN. It is not listed as Airborne, so it may be airmobile. It is a diamond.

post-264-1259027147.jpg

Next is the 544th Field Artillery BN. It is not listed as Airborne, so it may be airmobile. It is a diamond.

Next is the 457th Airborne Field Artillery BN. It is two circles side by side.

post-264-1259027307.jpg

Next is the 457th Airborne Field Artillery BN. It is two circles side by side.

The next one is the 89th Airborne Field Artillery BN. It is two half circles side by side.

post-264-1259027437.jpg

The next one is the 89th Airborne Field Artillery BN. It is two half circles side by side.

The last one is the 188th Airborne Infantry Rgt. It is the solid half circle.

post-264-1259027713.jpg

The last one is the 188th Airborne Infantry Rgt. It is the solid half circle.

The 503rd AIR and the 511th AIR are also with the Division. The 511th did not appear to have any helmet markings and only in one photo was there a marking on a 503rd helmet and it was not clear. That is the best that I can do to clarify the 11th A/B Division helmet markings.

Retired

I picked up another 11th AB yearbook from 1955 from the 511th Airborne Infantry Regiment and thought I would post some great pics of these helmet markings being worn and also some pics of Ridgeway caps with rank, para oval and wings on front with para/glider patch on side...hope you guys enjoy the pics and they are excellent reference photos.....mike

first up...heres a good variety with the helmet at far lower right looking like maybe a circle with something inside or its just one of the D helmets.

post-350-1259540462.jpg