11th Airborne Division '50 helmets

8240th A.U.

Hi All,

Going throught some 1955 yearbooks from various units of the 11th Airborne , I noticed that the division had some sort of tactical marking scheme for the steel helmet.

Would anyone have any info on this subject? :think:

Best regards,Eric

Hi eric, heres a few of my 50s era 11th AB and the helmet with the rectangle is 82cnd...Im always on the lookout for yearbooks like yours, I have one from 1956, 11th AB 188th..if you ever want to part with yours or share some pics with me for my research database I would appreciate it!....mike

post-350-1258124703.jpg

Here's a good website to check out, it has lots of info and pics of 50s era paras showing a lot of different helmet markings http://home.hiwaay.net/~magro/oldnew1.html you have to dig around but its a great site!...and here's a research chart I made with 50s era airborne helmet markings, some are identified some are a mystery for the moment!....mike

post-350-1258128403.jpg

I concur! A nice set of useful drawings! I normally collect WWII helmets, but picked up this airborne from the '50s because I thought it was cool! I thank you you for the research help........regards, jpstout

post-3673-1258160076.jpg

Thanks!....most of those can be seen in 11th Airborne yearbooks from 1955-57 era and from the paras of the 50s website but they dont narrow it down exactly, the one with the rectangle is from a confirmed 82nd 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment from a vet , the half moon with lines is 11th AB Korean War era seen in many photos, the different amount of breaks in the moon have a meaning to different regiments or battalions?.....the flag and triangle are unknown right now...but Im working on it!!.....mike

Any ideas on these ones? Part of 187th A.R.C.T. in Korea.

187THPIC9.jpg

I know many collectors go ga-ga over W.W.2 506th M2's, but my ultimate find would be a Korean War 187th marked M1C!

Mike, to confirm what you already know, the semi circle seems to be specific to 187th when it was split from 11th A.B. Div. and sent to Korea as a Regimental Combat Team. From what I can see in period pics. it does seem to be that the number of vertical gaps in the semi-circle indicate the Battalion within the Regiment, I'm working on it as solid semi-circle for Regimental H.Q. (and possibly R.H.Q. attached units, see pic. below), then 1, 2 or 3 verticle gaps for the 3 Battalions, I don't have them to hand but I do have pics. somewhere of men with one, two and three vertical gaps in the semi-circle. There seems to be some conflicting evidence whether the markings were in white or yellow, I've been in touch with a few people that know 187th Korean War Vets. and most couldn't remember the markings, but some apparently were definate that the colour was yellow whilst other sources say they were white!?

READYTORIDEPICDATE28THOCT1950.jpg

187THPICDATE25THOCT1950.jpg

Jon, thats a great pic!!...never seen the photo or the helmet markings before.....thanks another one for the database!!....finding pics and info isnt easy on this era, not very much to go on!.....mike

Any ideas on these ones? Part of 187th A.R.C.T. in Korea.

187THPIC9.jpg

I know many collectors go ga-ga over W.W.2 506th M2's, but my ultimate find would be a Korean War 187th marked M1C!

YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE DUCKIE! there was 1 on e-pay months back and i let it go.

Mike, to confirm what you already know, the semi circle seems to be specific to 187th when it was split from 11th A.B. Div. and sent to Korea as a Regimental Combat Team. From what I can see in period pics. it does seem to be that the number of vertical gaps in the semi-circle indicate the Battalion within the Regiment, I'm working on it as solid semi-circle for Regimental H.Q. (and possibly R.H.Q. attached units, see pic. below), then 1, 2 or 3 verticle gaps for the 3 Battalions, I don't have them to hand but I do have pics. somewhere of men with one, two and three vertical gaps in the semi-circle. There seems to be some conflicting evidence whether the markings were in white or yellow, I've been in touch with a few people that know 187th Korean War Vets. and most couldn't remember the markings, but some apparently were definate that the colour was yellow whilst other sources say they were white!?

READYTORIDEPICDATE28THOCT1950.jpg

187THPICDATE25THOCT1950.jpg

I think I'm going to be sick.....I've passed up several helmets with those exact markings in years past. :crying: :crying:

Hi mike,

Very nice chart for the helmet markings!!!

Jon, you are right for the semi circle marking.It is specific of the 187th Airborne Infantry. I don't know if it was worn before the unit was organised as an A.R.C.T. For what I could find, the "upward arrow" is for the th Airborne Parachute Maintenance Co.

I'll try to post pictures from the yearbooks ASAP.

In the same time frame, the 508th A.R.C.T. also had helemt markings, same style as their WW2 ones (winged feet,etc...)

Eric,

Hello, I thought I would share a helmet I have which might be relevant to this post.

I am not sure what unit this is, but this helmet belonged to a veteran who was stationed at Camp Campbell from 1951-52 while the 11thAB was stationed there so I am assuming this is an 11AB marking as well.

I believe the vet also served with the 17th AB during WW2. The chinstraps on the helmet are interesting because they are rigger made straps rather than the standard issue ones.

post-8296-1258278808.jpg

Nice to see a thread on these under-appreciated helmets. This is my contribution. I've had it for years now. Standard swivel bales with front seam stainless rim and painted captain's bars and 187th "Rakkasans" insignia on both sides. Liner is the standard airborne Westinghouse with four metal eyelet cloth chinstrap. Two more pictures follow. Best regards, Dave.

post-4484-1258294888.jpg

Close up of insignia...

post-4484-1258295336.jpg

WOW! :w00t: What a contribution! This thread has made me very, very happy, it's superb to see such nice surviving examples. Thank's to everyone for sharing.

that kw lid is just tops. dont see them. earlier this year there was one on e-pay and at that time i was going to bid but, did'nt. the one show is the 4th regiment is'nt it??? i would love to have 1 in the lid collection. superb example you have. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if this is of any use, but here's a photo of a soldier at the Airborne Training Center at Matsushima Air Base Japan 1949 wearing a marked jump liner. That's all the info I have on it.

post-2064-1258320498.jpg

Hey, Mike and Eric-here are a few more for fun! One is the 187th and the other?-I do not know!? regards, jpstout

post-3673-1258345108.jpgpost-3673-1258344799.jpg

nice kw 187th 1st regiment if i'm not mistaken. one just like that on over pay months ago.