Pearl Harbor Survivor USS Pennsylvania

776thamtrac

776thamtrac

Hey guys,

This little group came from a fellow member of my VFW Post. He had just shipped out from Great Lakes to go aboard USS Pennsylvania in the last week of November 1941. Talk about timming! Eventually he completed 5 Campaigns in the Pacific with the last ship he was on being a heavy cruiser. One of the coolest parts of this group are the photos. All in all I think there are about 80. The best of all are the hand full of original color prints taken at Pearl on his way home in 1945.

Enjoy,

CJW

post-755-1180662697.jpg

post-755-1180662704.jpg

post-755-1180662712.jpg

post-755-1180662721.jpg

post-755-1180662728.jpg

post-755-1180662736.jpg

disneydave

Interesting lot.

I had the priviledge of interviewing Mr. Donald Stratton. He was in the port anti-aircraft Director on the USS Arizona when the forward magazine blew up. He was burned over 70% of his body and of the approx. 50 crew in and around the two site-setters, he was one of only 6 survivors - of them two died later that night. He got off the Arizona by going hand-over-hand to the Vestel which was moored alongside. After he recovered he re-enlisted in the Navy and served aboard the USS Stack in teh South Pacific. My interview with him was the cover story in the December 2006 issue of World War II magazine.

disneydave

Thanks...I didn't mean to hijack this thread from the original topic.

That said, here is the link if you want to read the interview I did with Mr. Stratton. In the photo that accompanies the online article, the Director is the large structure in the middle right hand side of the photo - that is what Mr. Stratton was inside when the magazine blew.

David

http://www.historynet.com/wars_conflicts/w...?page=1&c=y