Amcraft pattern Senior Pilot

John Cooper

Nice piece! "which was less the $15 so I could not pass it up" quit bragging! :P I've got the same one in pinback marked Sterling, paid a bit more than $15 though!

Sorry for the bragging... for some reason it was not wanted.... Typically I do not go beyond 1945 but this wing is a very nice strike. I am assuming it is early 50s since there are no maker codes. I guess it bring up the question about when electrostaic type of attachment first started...

For me I am using the post lenght and the lack of alphnumeric code to guide me in dating this wonderful wing. Any other information of thoughts would be welcome.

John

Sorry for the bragging... for some reason it was not wanted.... Typically I do not go beyond 1945 but this wing is a very nice strike. I am assuming it is early 50s since there are no maker codes. I guess it bring up the question about when electrostaic type of attachment first started...

For me I am using the post lenght and the lack of alphnumeric code to guide me in dating this wonderful wing. Any other information of thoughts would be welcome.

John

I have a similar wing, but with a slightly different finish that likely dates from post-WWII/KW period that belonged to a friend. I suspect that from around 1945 until the mid-1950's or so, much of the old WWII stock was being used up. Remember, IIRC just after the war, a great deal of military personnel were discharged, and it wasn't until the KW and the start of the cold war period that the military (including the USAF) started to significantly expand again. These type of wings, like the old AMCRAFT pattern are interesting in that they likely represent a transition period in the military that I think is kind of interesting. Plus, as a (likely) KW vintage insignia, they tend to fall below the prices of comparable WWII wings. Either because they are clutch back, have the alpha/numeric code, or use electrostatic mounting, they still are probably from the same dies used in WWII, and more than likely would have been worn by WWII-trained pilots and veterans. Some collectors seem to feel that you can put a start and stop date on insignia, but that is not strictly true.

Cool beans!

Patrick

Post it if you got it Mr. Frost err Patrick... I forgot Mr. Frost is your Dad ;)

Cheers

John

HI,

Having all sorts of trouble with my "electronics" right now. But, it is just like yours for the most part. I'll try to scan it once my home computer is on line again.

Oh, BTW, it is DOCTOR Frost to you, Mr. Cooper! :devil:

P

HI,

Having all sorts of trouble with my "electronics" right now. But, it is just like yours for the most part. I'll try to scan it once my home computer is on line again.

Oh, BTW, it is DOCTOR Frost to you, Mr. Cooper! :devil:

P

Dr. Frost maybe you should get some lessons from our friend Russ :)