Post your USAF "Heritage" Patches

Sabrejet

• 2 weeks later...

Still some mileage left in this thread! The ol' stubby wing Eighth AF patch still lives on!

post-8022-1259691034.jpg

Ian :thumbsup:

kyhistorian01

SabreJet asked me to repost this patch under the heritage thread. Its a modern version of the 62nd Fighter Squadron Patch.

Robert

post-6492-1259926275.jpg

Excellent...thank you Robert! Scroll back to the start of the thread and you'll find the subdued version.

Ian (aka Sabrejet) :thumbsup:

In WW2 it bore the legend Cave Tonitrum...Latin for "Beware the Thunderbolt", a reference to their fearsome P-47s!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing some nice patches here so here's another that's right up heritage alley. The 386th Air Expeditionary Wing is the direct descendant of WW2's 386th Bomb Group. I was assigned to the 386th AEW in 2005 and wore the fully embroidered patch seen below. It's not the exact design of the original, but they have nicely added the four WW2 bomb squadrons to the modern design. The other patch is a "BX Patch" sold on base.

It's a provisional unit, but I applaud the USAF for bringing it back to life instead of just creating some 4 digit temporary unit out of thin air.

post-1949-1260820602.jpg

post-1949-1260820611.jpg

Agree with you 100% Steindaddie! An interesting patch...and thanks for reviving this thread. There's life in the ol' dog yet!

Ian :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Like Lazarus rising from the dead, there's life in this thread yet! Here's a classic WW2 period design!

post-8022-1262434356.jpg

Sabrejet

Likewise this one, formerly of the 11th Bombardment Squadron. (Previously posted in the missile patch thread, but equally valid in this one!)

post-8022-1262434639.jpg

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

• 7 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The subdued Alaskan Air Command patch is from the period, starting in 1979. Some time after I left AAC, the star was re-oriented upright. There are at least two variations of the subdued patches that I'm aware of, the difference being the alignment of the star. There are three other variations of the Alaskan Air Command insignia between the post World War II one displayed and the color version of the subdued one.

The 18th Tactical Fighter Squadron patch may be a reproduction. The 18th TFS or "Blue Foxes" were assigned to the 21st COMPW/TFW at Elmendorf AFB, AK while I was assigned there. The 18th provided close air support for the Army. The unit patches of that era were fully embroidered and the fox looked less stylized.

Sabrejet showed the subdued version of the 23rd TFW above. The unit as a whole is a tribute to th Flying Tigers and the 23rd Fighter Group in World War II. Here is the 23rd TFW, the 74th FS, 75th TFS and the now defunct 76th TFS.

-Ski

This was the 1st, and las time since, that all three of the original squadrons were together since WW2.The 23rd TFW was at England AFB, LA.They flew A-7 till the early 80's when they were given A-10 Thunderbolt II's.