Cleaning canvas pouches and holsters

Paladin

Hi...was wondering what the best method for cleaning really filthy khaki colored canvas pieces was? Somehow throwning them in the washing machine just doesnt seem right!

Charlie Flick
Hi...was wondering what the best method for cleaning really filthy khaki colored canvas pieces was? Somehow throwing them in the washing machine just doesnt seem right!

P:

You are right, don't use the washer.

I use Ivory liquid soap and a soft, worn out old toothbrush. The Ivory is very gentle and can cut grease too. (Sounds like a commercial.) I use warm water and gently scrub the entire piece, then rinse thoroughly in cold water and use a dry towel to wick off as much fluid as I can. I then let it air dry out of the sunlight. That gets me pretty good results. I also avoid scrubbing the markings.

HTH.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Lucky 7th Armored

I was just about to ask the same question, I have a second chance offer on ebay for a 5 cell thompson pouch that is soiled on the front, but the rest is pretty mint, ill post a picture. The seller says that it is fine dirt/soot, i was wondering if i use Charlies method if i get it do you think it will work? Also does 32.00 sound too much for this?

Ill let the pictures do the talking

well idk how to get the pictures off ebay so here's a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=180431611013

Thanks,

Haydn

Using a brush and soap will change the surface color and texture and you end up with a noticeable spot when it dries. :thumbdown: Try it where it won't show as much and try it, you'l see a change. I have had success by soaking the item in Woolite for several hours then using my shop vac (clean the hose tip first) to pull the water and dirt out. If not clean enough back in a clean Woolite bath it goes. Carter

I clean web gear like Charlie said but I use Dawn with a little Oxyclean. Warm water with a cold rinse all done by hand and air dry outside. It's how I was told to do it in the Army. I also avoid markings or use a soft toothbrush lightly if they are soiled. Avoid the washer and dryer.. They will leave wear marks and sometimes the equiptment will damage the appliance..

Fins..

I wouldn't touch any piece of soiled canvas too much...

But when you do: avoid agressive types of soap, direct sunlight and any type of washing machine...

Warm water and a soft toothbrush should do the trick, I guess...

rgds

Bart P

Cobrahistorian

Do a search in this sub-forum for"smoke off sponges". We use them for surface cleaning and they're great. Chemically neutral, they don't leave any residue and are relatively inexpensive. Just cut the sponge to a useable size (I usually split them in half longitudinally and then cut each half into 4 pieces) and rub it over the area to be cleaned. Works like a charm.

Jon