SSI s for Nurses in the ETO

Gliderinf

How far up the chain of command are feild hospitals attached ?

Division

Corps

Army

Group ?

What would be most apropriate SSI for Nurses to be wearing =

In Normandy - inland from utah

In Holland

In Bastogne (or therabouts)

As far as I know, they're situated on Corps and Army level.

You see nurses with for example the 1st US Army SSI on their field jackets or even dress uniforms.

Erwin

I agree with Erwin. Most nurses would be wear an Army or Corps patch.

Here is a link to a thread I started in the Uniforms section a few weeks ago. The uniforms have the First Army patch on the right for a "combat patch" and Second Army on the left for current unit of assignment: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=5164

She was a member of the 118th Evac Hospital which was assigned to First Army.

Here is a link to a webpage about the medical activities in the First Army that you might find helpful: http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/ww...45/FUSA1945.htm

Hope this helps.

Steve

2ad82recon

Hi Glider Inf..it depends on what the actual hospital was attached to...it would have either been the particular ARMY patch i.e 1st,3rd etc etc or more commonly the ETO advanced Base patch was worn by Nurses.

Regards

Lloyd

I forgot to mention in my earlier post, but I was also loaned her military records which I have scanned.

If you are looking for some military nurses' paperwork, including issue documents for her field gear, I might be able to help.

Steve

Hi Steve send us a copy of that can you please buddy.....Michelle my partner is a WW2 US Army Nurse re enactor and it would be interesting for her.

Hope you are OK buddy

regards

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd!

I'd be happy to send you whatever you'd like. The entire file is something over 200 pages, so do you have any specifics you are looking for, or just the field gear issue documents?

I'd be happy to copy the whole thing to a CD and mail it to you if you'd like. PM me with your mailing address, e-mail, etc, and I'll get it out to you.

Take care-

Steve

Army Nurses could wear a sleeve patch on their left upper sleeve of their service and field jacktes, overcoats, utility coats, raincoats and waists to indicate the Army force to which they were assigned. The Army was divided in three forces, the Army Service Force, the Army Air Force and the Army Ground Force. The patch could be that of a General Headquarters or a special higher-level formation or command. Army Nurses serving with the Ground Forces were formally assigned at the level of army groups or armies, but seldom within corps or combat divisions.

To make a complete and accurate survey of all sleeve patches worn by Army nurses, one would have to possess all the unit assignment and attachment orders of all nurses during World War II. This would be an impossible task. Many orders were destroyed or captured by enemy offenses (i.e., Japanese advance in the Philippines, German counterattacks at Anzio and the Ardennes, etc.). Furthermore, many orders were destroyed during the war or accidentally burned during the 1973 loss of personnel records at the St. Louis depository in postwar America. In other words, in most cases, the required orders simply no longer exist

Source: www.blitzkriegbaby.de

thumbsup.gif

Regards

Sofie