Interesting Vanguard Pilot wing

Nack

Easy mistake to make... I have seem them in the Balfour pattern and even a GEMSCO pattern. I am trying to gather some information after an exchange with a few collectors via email and one of my frineds here on the fourm Paul S on the relationship between Vanguard and Balfour.

Cheers

John

It looks like your wing is marked "1V" on the back. This is the maufacturer code assigned to Vanguard in 1953. So that make it not a WWII period wing.

Vance

It looks like your wing is marked "1V" on the back. This is the maufacturer code assigned to Vanguard in 1953. So that make it not a WWII period wing.

Vance

Is that necessarily true? It’s a pinback wing and in a pattern that would seem rather out of place for a 50’s wing, no? So they still made pinback wings after the war?

Yes, it is true that the numeral-alpha mfg codes came about in 1953-54 and it is very much not a WWII period marking. Pin back insignia were still being made in some cases well into the 1950's (even later in some rare cases). Case in point, the US Air Force Navigator/Observer design can be found in the pin back configuration, and that design wasn't even introducted until late 1951 IIRC.

Vance

Yes, it is true that the numeral-alpha mfg codes came about in 1953-54 and it is very much not a WWII period marking. Pin back insignia were still being made in some cases well into the 1950's (even later in some rare cases). Case in point, the US Air Force Navigator/Observer design can be found in the pin back configuration, and that design wasn't even introducted until late 1951 IIRC.

Vance

Interesting. I knew of the numbering codes, but when I looked at the wing it looked like a Roman numeral IV (i.e., not 1V) when I was handling it, so I figured it was a marketing name of some sort. Thanks for the info re: pins.

Well, the more I think about it, this was quite a rookie mistake. Idk why my radar didn't go off when I saw a number - roman or otherwise. At least it looks cool. Sucks I paid a not insubstantial amount for it. Live and learn.

Hi,

I wouldnt think of it as a mistake. More than likely this was a wing that was made from the EXACT die as the ones made during WWII. Frankly, from the front, no one would ever have an inkling that it wasn't made in 1945 versus some time post 1950.

Still a beautiful wing, IMHO.

Patrick

Hi,

I wouldnt think of it as a mistake. More than likely this was a wing that was made from the EXACT die as the ones made during WWII. Frankly, from the front, no one would ever have an inkling that it wasn't made in 1945 versus some time post 1950.

Still a beautiful wing, IMHO.

Patrick

True true - it is a cool wing, and it will keep a few other early AF wings in the collection company. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for the thoughts.